Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Installing a second landing+taxi light cluster - N-reg Socata TB20

It turns out that anybody who installed the second light cluster cannot ever install the full TKS system. The TKS strip on the LH wing is shortened by the size of the light cluster. So you would have to use the RH TKS strip on the left wing, and somehow apply for a mod to the CAV STC – maybe a field approval? Can a FA be used to modify an STC?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes… I didn’t think there was any way to make and sell anything in Europe for aviation, short of being a 145 company.

So what process could be used to make the relay board modification a Minor Mod?

BTW this is off topic now; the original thread was about installing a second lights cluster which is IMHO a much bigger and more “provocative” mod.

Administrator

EASA doesn’t have a FAA / PMA system. You would be best to contact CAA on forehand, and discuss this with them. I think this is doable. Be prepaired to do quite some engineering paperwork etc.They sometimes can be quite hard. Even easier would be if you make your design and suppose that Socata. If they would accept at (under manufacturer / TCDS holder) they could issue an SB for this.

For the amount of aircraft, is not one rule. You must get lucky here. I would think all TB20 on single approval should be possible.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

So one could design a plug-compatible replacement PCB and sell it to people and they could install it as an EASA Minor Mod?

Or would they (or somebody) have to modify their own PCB?

Is the €290 charge payable on each installation?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is a re-work of the reed relay board really possible under an EASA Minor Change?

I would not know why not, given you make a good design. We also produce our own annunciators, which are approved under EASA minor change. Golze WX box, uses the same route, Flarm used to use the same route etc.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

There are no LEDs in the required size (“36LX”) which draw the required current.

If however you installed the second lights cluster (the subject of this thread) then that would work.

Is a re-work of the reed relay board really possible under an EASA Minor Change?

Administrator

tmo wrote:

So, basically, Howard needs to find LEDs that draw enough current for the annunciator to work and he can have them installed as a minor mod under CS-STAN – am I understanding this correctly?

This would one way. The other would be to apply for minor change application, and apply for either the removal of the annunicator lights (many aircraft don’t have these). Or apply for a change of the annunciator design. A minor change is not free of charge and is being processed by EASA. Unlike an major change, anyone could apply for a minor change. A Major change could only be applied for by a Part 21 design organisation.

The fee for a minor change on a GA SEP is around 290 Euro.

I most cases it makes more sense to have a company apply for a minor change, as they have done the work before. It can be quite hard to do yourself. Yet it is not impossible if one is willing to read into regulations and come up with an approriate design.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

So, basically, Howard needs to find LEDs that draw enough current for the annunciator to work and he can have them installed as a minor mod under CS-STAN – am I understanding this correctly?

Thank you tons for your patience and willingness to share your extensive knowledge! Every day is a learning experience here, and I’m loving it!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

So, how does CS-STAN help (Howard, not Peter) in getting the TB20 outfitted with LED lights

CS-STAN is to enable certain standard modifications. It is not the answer to every modification. So in this part, it approves the LED light installation, but doesn’t solve the annunciator issue. So you would need additional approval to modify or remove the annunciators.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

So, how does CS-STAN help (Howard, not Peter) in getting the TB20 outfitted with LED lights (CS-SC031a – EXCHANGE OF CONVENTIONAL ANTI-COLLISION LIGHTS, POSITION LIGHTS AND LANDING & TAXI LIGHTS BY LED TYPE LIGHTS)?

Last Edited by tmo at 02 Nov 17:22
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message