Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Importing an aircraft into the UK - do I need an import agent?

Hi All,
I’m about to import an N-reg M20-TN into the U.K.
Paperwork at the US side is done (fingers crossed).
I’m looking for recommendations for a U.K. shipping agent who can help me sort the U.K. VAT payment process out. Base airport is going to be EGTE, I’m planning on simply paying the VAT and am looking for assistance/advice on the simplest way of doing this.
Thanks in advance

EGTE, United Kingdom

Do you need an agent?

Just import it, and call the local VAT office. They will tell you how much to pay

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are only few HRMC airports where you can import GA aircraft and pay VAT, I think Cranfield, Gloucestershire, Kemble, Lasham, Oxford, Stornaway, Wick, Yeovil are on the list

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This is my experience: I learnt the hard way last year.

• Prenotify HMRC of the import. Import agent can do this electronically. You can do this with paper c88 ( I think ?)
  • On the day of import, first stop should be at a “designated airport”. Home Office publish a list of airports and import procedure, but dont believe or assume anything. (See below; Southend was on this list)
  • On the day, your agent will send the pre-arrival notice.
  • HMRC will send a release notification, assuming VAT has been paid before hand – got mine within 2-3 hours on a weekday.
  • Fly away to your base location.

IMPORTANT: Call the Airport Manager/OPS and check with UKBF if they are familiar with procedures ! No HMRC personnel on site, but UKBF coordinate the arrival and release. The local UKBF guys were very helpful, but their “higher officers” (yes that was the title on their email) sitting in an offsite location (Thames Gateway, I think) had no clues to the procedures – treating aircraft import as cargo import ! Aircraft was impounded at southend. I had the export CofA, but these “higher officers” demanded a UK CAA airworthiness certificate to release the aircraft – incompetent muppets !
Luckily I had an agent who fought this out, and resolved same day. Agent promised to never do aircraft imports again !

Key takeaways:

• Avoid Southend (or Essex, as the same clueless “higher officers” are probably around doing their important jobs !).
  • Get an experienced agent, preferably located at the airport.
  • Choose “designated airport” carefully.

Alternate procedure (heard others do it). Just fly the plane to your final destination, and inform HMRC / pay VAT later. Not sure what the repercussions might be ?

Good luck.

Last Edited by flyingelephant at 03 May 10:26
United Kingdom

I now recall a C88 is the gold plated proof of import VAT paid. Most owners don’t have one… reportedly because it shows how much the dealer paid for the aircraft

See also here.

Administrator

Thanks all, particularly flying elephant for sharing your recent experience… much appreciated!

EGTE, United Kingdom

Just an update on paying import VAT in case anyone else faces this issue in future.
I ended up calling Far North Aviation in Wick and spoke to ‘Drew’ who explained the process very clearly.
Far North are registered import agents – they deal with a large volume of imports and are very well versed in the process.
The cost is a very reasonable flat fee of £250 (similar to the $300 fee I’m paying to Deringer the US export agents).
They just need bill of sale, US export paperwork and (if applicable) VAT registration details/EORI number for the company importing the aircraft.
The deferred VAT payment scheme means no monies payable on entry (no need to reclaim at the company’s next VAT return) so the process is much easier than it used to be.
(Although Wick airport is closed all day Saturday and Sunday until 1500, Far North Aviation can arrange an indemnity to allow uncontrolled use of the airport.)

*as I’m sure you’re all aware OPMAS had to close the Danish loophole over a decade ago – sad times!
*Guernsey and San Marino are able to register foreign owned/based turbine aircraft but not for piston.
*yes the C88 is the form required to prove VAT paid… all done and available online nowadays.

Last Edited by Woody at 06 May 18:22
EGTE, United Kingdom

So i asked a company for assistance with important N219RT, paying VAT, etc, and they quoted me £2500 !

Does anyone have experience with this? If so, is it really worth that much money? Thank you!

To be clear, im not looking to change the registration, just pay the VAT and officially import it into the uk

EGKA, United Kingdom

£2500 seems like a bargain to me on a 250.000€ asset.
If your time is cheap or free, you can do it yourself. Otherwise having someone do it and deal with the hassle for you seems well worth a 1% fee.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 28 Feb 16:26
always learning
LO__, Austria

What exactly are they doing?

You can fly it to the UK and declare the import to HMRC, probably at Southend. HMRC will give you a certificate of import VAT paid.

There is nothing else to do.

BTW there is a 2hr edit window on EuroGA so you can edit posts.

Administrator
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message