Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Importing an aircraft into the UK - do I need an import agent?

Snoopy wrote:

£2500 seems like a bargain to me on a 250.000€ asset.
If your time is cheap or free, you can do it yourself. Otherwise having someone do it and deal with the hassle for you seems well worth a 1% fee.

I guess thats what im trying to figure out – have you imported one to the UK?

Peter wrote:

What exactly are they doing?

Filling out a customs declaration form and importing the aircraft ‘via route 1 or route 6’ depending on whether a full document check is required. Is this an overkill?

Its currently sitting in EGKA without the prop :)

Last Edited by Rami1988 at 28 Feb 16:54
EGKA, United Kingdom

There is no formal import. A certified plane just sits parked somewhere… There is no register, etc.

All that matters is import VAT. It’s not like a car which is limited to x months before you must change the number plates, etc. So somebody will charge you 2.5k for sending papers to HMRC.

Uncertified you have a 28 day parking limit nowadays (UK and France implemented this concurrently – see the uncertified threads).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I guess thats what im trying to figure out – have you imported one to the UK?

I have not. When did the aircraft land in the UK? I could imagine that it should have been declared as soon as it arrived, or in the case that the seller isn’t resident in the UK and didn’t intend to sell it initially, immediately after the “spontaneous” sale.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 28 Feb 17:28
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I have not. When did the aircraft land in the UK? I could imagine that it should have been declared as soon as it arrived, or in the case that the seller isn’t resident in the UK and didn’t intend to sell it initially, immediately after the “spontaneous” sale.

I think an aircraft can be ‘somewhere’ for 6 months before being officially imported (but im not 100% sure about this). Wouldnt make sense if you had to do it instantly.

Peter wrote:

All that matters is import VAT. It’s not like a car which is limited to x months before you must change the number plates, etc. So somebody will charge you 2.5k for sending papers to HMRC.

Any idea where i start with this? should i just ring up HMRC?

EGKA, United Kingdom

Rami1988 wrote:

To be clear, im not looking to change the registration, just pay the VAT and officially import it into the uk

Rami1988 wrote:

I think an aircraft can be ‘somewhere’ for 6 months before being officially imported (but im not 100% sure about this)

What is the definition of “officially imported” in your mind?

You’re not switching registers and the aircraft will not exist in the UK CAA system now or in a year from now. All that should concern you has nothing to do with the CAA. What matters is avoiding the wrath of the UK tax man, as @Peter has already explained. I’m sure there’s a deadline for VAT payment to be made, any tax accountant will know what it is and the form with which to submit VAT payment.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Feb 18:08

See the aircraft VAT threads. It’s all in there. Temporary import limits etc. Probably 6 months.

The UK CAA is not involved.

You need to set up a trust to own an N-reg but you must have already done that, and you need to do that anywhere in the world, unless you are a US citizen or a Green Card holder.

See also “Threads possibly related to this one” below. The Swiss case is the same.

Administrator

I imported a second hand aircraft from the US. Its forst port of entry to the UK was Wick. The handling agent there did the HMRC notification for free. I dont think its complicated. I would askl at the airport that you have or are going to fly into how to make a customs deslaratiom of a plane. If is VERY important however that at the end you do get the VAT Paid certificate.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I think an aircraft can be ‘somewhere’ for 6 months before being officially imported (but im not 100% sure about this). Wouldnt make sense if you had to do it instantly.

Not if you are a UK resident iirc.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Not if you are a UK resident iirc.

What is “not”?

Ferry pilots who are passing through various EU countries, say US to Africa, need to take care of this. @eal has posted on this topic. But this is irrelevant here. This is a permanent import.

You phone up HMRC; start with Southend where they were based for many years.

Administrator

Maybe i could even start with shoreham and see what they say!

EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message