Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Plan your descents!

whenever I fly with passengers, we always have a pre-flight safety briefing. As part of this, I tell them about possible issues with ear and eye pain and other medical issues and what to do/say.

In a non-pressurized plane with passengers, descending above 500 ft/min is unnecessary and disrespectful in my opinion. Above 750, it’s looking for trouble and doing 1500 as the OP stated is looking for legal issues.

Planning the descent is part of being ahead of the airplane. The GTN navigators have a feature called “vcalc” I really like,
In IFR, ATC will often “forget” thar we’re not pressurized and corner us into a high rate descent if we’re not proactive. Being prepared, requesting early and having a plan B for delayed descent clearance is useful.

Passengers, especially beginners, in small GA are very vulnerable and more insecure than what pilots may sense.
A safety briefing and careful flying are key to safer flights and keeping GA’s reputation . I “budget” a significant part of my energy to ensuring everyone on board is fine and get thanked for this. I see it as part of the job and actually like it.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

doing 1500 as the OP stated is looking for legal issues

What kind of legal issues?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Flyingfish wrote:

Planning the descent is part of being ahead of the airplane.

Done automatically in Sky Demon But you have to configure the aircraft first.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Most of us fly the same aircraft all the time. So descent planning is easy.

Work out how many nm you will cover in two minutes while descending at 500ft/min. That’s the distance you need for every 1000ft you need to loose.

In the arrow that I used to fly, that was 5nm per 1000ft.

After that everything is easy. If I’m at 8000ft and I want to join over head the field at 2000ft, then the calculations are easy. I need to loose 6000ft So 6 * 5nm = 30nm needed to descend at a constant 500fpm.

I think that everyone should know the distance that they need to loose 1000ft at 500fpm for their aircraft and then descent planning becomes really easy.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Or you could work it out at 300ft per nm, otherwise at 120kts on a 5% descent equals 600ft per minute.
You need to find the best method for the situation.🙂

France
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message