Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Swiss Cheese and how the holes line up.

While I know this guy was a student, situations like this are why I always stay current night and IFR. It simply removes sources of stress like these and increases your options in case of delay or unexpected weather.

EHRD, Netherlands

It’s fine – the section description says “Discussion related to specific accidents or incidents.”.

But, yes, ILAFFT is a better section.

I don’t delete good stuff. In fact I almost never delete anything

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

@Peter if you don’t agree please delete this but I did understand that this thread is not just for accidents but also for those that could have been.

Plse @Peter do not delete it! It is a really useful experience. Thanks for posting.

I would say, however it is more for the ILAFFT thread than the Crash Talk thread. After all, there was no damage and the pilot demonstrated he knew how to keep himself distanced from such.

I particularly liked the fact that he elected to go to a familiar airfield for the night landing, rather than the closest, to improve his chances of success. After all and being dark as it was anyway, he had no immediately pressing need to be on the ground…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

I’m the same. I don’t like to be rushed. I can be ready in 15 mins after I arrive at the hangar, but it’s a relaxing and enjoyable 15 mins.

I plan with 45 minutes from arriving at the hangar to taxi for takeoff as I will usually have to refuel which takes some time. Opening and closing hangar doors, pulling the aircraft out of the hangar etc. also take time. And of course as renter I have to load my own gear into the aircraft.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

GA_Pete wrote:

I now try to have a situation where I tinker and prep the aircraft, fuel it, and end up arms folded because there’s nothing else to do……..so I then go flying before boredom sets-in.
…..not quite but you get my idea.

I’m the same. I don’t like to be rushed. I can be ready in 15 mins after I arrive at the hangar, but it’s a relaxing and enjoyable 15 mins.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I agree with GA_Pete being rushed spolis the enjoyment of a flight. I too hate to have to rush.

France

GA_Pete wrote:

One which many newly qualified pilots would not deal with correctly.

Quite a few “more experienced” neither….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Rushing around, getting behind with stuff and rushing more has probably been a factor in a huge number of accidents.
I have evolved to actually detest rushing and feeling rushed.
It spoils my enjoyment of the whole experience, and avoiding it hopefully helps with safety too.
I now try to have a situation where I tinker and prep the aircraft, fuel it, and end up arms folded because there’s nothing else to do……..so I then go flying before boredom sets-in.
…..not quite but you get my idea.
The student pilot demonstrated a very admirable approach to dealing with the situation. One which many newly qualified pilots would not deal with correctly.
I think it’s a good post, a good learning point for all, and especially that student.
To be fair, we sometimes learn more from some of our closer encounters than we do from instructors etc.

United Kingdom

Good report. And the student did remarkably well getting himself out of the situation.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

When I send students on their 150 NM/two-landings-away-NavEx, I have a hard limit that they depart at least five hours before ECET. This might be viewed as completely over the top for a flight that is planned for like two hours, but I have been the instructor biting his nails while waiting for the student with daylight dwindling rapidly before…

Some more headwind on one of the legs, a go-around at an unfamiliar airfield, taxi times, checklists done by a meticulous, but somewhat slow student pilot, a hard-starting engine and suddenly most of even a generous reserve is gone.

Friedrichshafen EDNY
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message