Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Heat resistant patches inside a cowling

Thank you, Gentlemen.

As a summary:
– Mooney forum recommended: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/kevlarheatshield.php and https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/alumheatbarrierstops.php as well as Thermo-Tec 13575; the last one seems most cost effective and with the best feedback;
– an alternative people around Europe have used is a aluminium/fibreglass mat with adhesive: https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B07KJHPRZ8 which seems to be both less expensive than the stuff above, and more readily available in the EU;
– based on the Amazon stuff, I will review what local automotive tuning shops use and may go with that due to availability (the DL-Racing stuff from Amazon takes more than a week to show up in PL), will update next week.

Great points about:
– sealing edges with high temp RTV, eg. Dowsil 736, to prevent oil/dirt ingress (A_and_C);
– that the material / adhesive doesn’t need to be space-shuttle rated (Peter, who I hopefully paraphrased closely enough).

That the cowling needs to be prepared properly for the adhesive to bond properly goes without saying.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Vans Aircraft uses some kind of self-adhesive aluminium foil. I’ve got some leftovers from my RV14 build, and would be happy to make those available for you if you can make it to EPZR

Poland

@RV14, thanks for your most generous offer – I’ll be thrilled to make my way to Żar, or to meet up somewhere, just to see your RV; failing that I might as some glider pilots from AK to pick it up for me; I’ll be in touch.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Would it not be more effective to put heat shields on the exhaust system? Not sure if you have the room or can do this on a certified aircraft – it’s what I did on my RV-8 to deal with a “hot” cowl.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I doubt any real heat shield on the pipes would fit; the original Mooney solution is a bit of a heat shield sheet material stuck on to the cowling; this has deteriorated and I am looking to renew / replace it.

Last Edited by tmo at 02 Apr 16:56
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Would heat shield on the exhaust heat up until it was radiating/convecting the heat being produced?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I would not try to save money on this, especially as

• the stuff from the UK shop in post 1 is not at all expensive, and they ship to the EU (courier works to the EU; it is only airmail / small packet which is affected by the “UK packet rearguard action” of some EU customs offices).
  • most self adhesive products are crap under heat (even little labels for electronic items are a real challenge if you want > +80C, and look up the price of 3M 467 adhesive)
  • 2 pack PRC-type stuff is likely to cost as much as the material, because you have to buy a semkit pack; I used Scotch-Weld 1300 which is much easier
  • if the stuff peels off it makes a right mess, and looks horrible

Yes I think an exhaust shield is not the way to do this, due to this and this. You don’t want the stainless steel exhausts getting any hotter than they already do.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

(courier works to the EU; it is only airmail / small packet which is affected by the “UK packet rearguard action” of some EU customs offices).

I sent 3 small PCBs to Spain last year by airmail – packet about 120mm x 80mm x 40mm, took over a month!

Andreas IOM
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message