Welcome to our forums

US-Bangla DH8D at Kathmandu accitdent

Incompetent ATC, incompetent pilot.
What a shame those lives were lost.

Data
http://avherald.com/h?article=4b5fa1cb&opt=0

Voice recording

LGMG Megara, Greece

I wonder if there was a confusion between runway numbers 02 and 20. (Sweden does not use these runway numbers for risk of mixup — same with 13 and 31.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I see really no reason to crash on the ground due to runway confusion while on VFR, tough you may crash in the air while on opposite circuit if you have poor lookout…

Btw, I did confused 20/02 runways in North Weald, UK one day and it was not much of drama to go-around:
- I can see someone landing on the other side and hear them calling final
- I got the feeling of a tailwind component and windsock points the other side

If he was VFR with airfield in sight, he only need a stick & engine…tough the poor radio comm is irrelevant in this case, it says a lot about the captain airmanship

RIP the people who got killed

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

A UK Royal Flight made that mistake at Islay, landing downwind, with Prince Charles at the controls, monitored by the RAF commander. The tower did not have a Controller, only a FISO. Land at your discretion!
The BAE146 went off the runway.
Why put the zero before the two? 13/31 wouldn’t be avoided though.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

There is a video of what appears to be the same flight some time earlier doing a go-around.

https://www.facebook.com/skydiarynepal/videos/225392854690368/

And the crash?

[probably wrong video removed]

Last Edited by Dimme at 16 Mar 12:22
ESME, ESMS

Comments on the removed video above: It sounds like the props were in beta angle. Maybe they tried to slow down to descend faster to make the runway, and they stalled? I know people don’t like early conclusions and speculations, I’m just reporting my observations. RIP.

Last Edited by Dimme at 16 Mar 12:22
ESME, ESMS

The pitch attitude looked way too high for such a steep descent…? If you had the prop in beta angle you would need a much lower pitch attitude to maintain airspeed, wouldn’t you?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Mar 11:56
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It looks like the above may be from another accident.
Compare it with this one which is right after the crash shot from the apron.

LGMG Megara, Greece

You’re probably right. I’ll remove that video since it might not be relevant.

ESME, ESMS
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message