Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Urgent question on Class 2 medical renewal (and UK CAA not accepting some medicals)

I have a German 2nd Class medical that was accepted by the Irish CAA (issuers of my EASA PPL) several days ago. In the case of Germany, you need to ask your examiner to provide a copy of your records for you to send. As already mentioned, the Germans will not send to third parties (including CAAs) as a result of privacy rules. (My initial medical was issued by an Irish examiner.). But I think other countries will accept a pdf that came from your examiner’s office that you then forward to them.

PM me if you would like the contact information for a medical examiner in Frankfurt.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 10 Mar 11:47
Tököl LHTL

Thanks for the info guys.

I’ve just landed at EGLL. A friend was making some calls while I was airborne and I have two potentual appointments, just waiting final confirmation. So it looks like I’ll get it done.

I’ve heard from another friend that the renewals from another state have been allowed in the interim period since my last medical. Which is nice.

I turn 40 before this expires and so my medical currency time reduces. If I can get setup with a German AME that’ll be good.

Whiskey papa I’ll let you know if I need help there.

EDHS, Germany

Hi All,

Further update, I managed to find an AME who can help me at 17:00 today. I’ll head there soon.

I managed to have some time to look into the situation and it is not automatic that a medical certificate is accepted across borders.

CAA State of License Issue information This link gives information about acceptance of different medical certificates to the UK CAA – and expressly highlights the data protection laws of Germany as a barrier to the release of the medical notes.

Medical certificates acceptable to the UK CAA : This link, which is linked from the above page, gives a table of the medical certificates acceptable to the UK CAA, specifically Germany, Serbia and Turkey are not acceptable for UK issued FCLs.

Anyway, issue solved.

Best

Jon

EDHS, Germany

italianjon wrote:

Medical certificates acceptable to the UK CAA : This link, which is linked from the above page, gives a table of the medical certificates acceptable to the UK CAA, specifically Germany, Serbia and Turkey are not acceptable for UK issued FCLs

Looks like it is about time the UK leaves EASA.

But last I checked Serbia and Turkey were not members of EASA

LFPT, LFPN

The reason the UK CAA doesn’t accept German medicals is fairly obvious. They are potentially not worth anything to another country’s CAA. One German pilot friend of mine – a bizjet pilot – used to say of his medicals “mine is an entirely practical affair”, with a smile.

Not the whole story though:

It sounds like, post-Germanwings, someone who applies for an ab initio German medical, has to deliver his full medical record to the AME. But not someone who was already in the system.

[ local copy of above PDF ]

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

8 moths ago i had my medical renewed in germany for my uk easa ppl and all was fine (as long you send the correct paperwork to the UK CAA) I had previous medical issued in Spain UK Portugal Austria Germany (i am moving arround jobwise) and all OK with UK CAA

Last Edited by Peter_Paul at 10 Mar 23:28
fly2000
Peter 10-Mar-18 09:50 #09
I have just got this from a guy “in the system” in the UK:

The initial medical has to be done in the State of licence issue, after that you can renew the medical with an EASA AME in any State. There is however an issue in Germany where under German law sharing information infringes their data protection laws, so a German AME may not pass the information to the State of licence issue

That is not entirely correct.

You can have any medical done (including the initial one) with any AeMC (initial Class 1) or AME (all other flavours) by any EASA and that includes German AMEs or AMEs working in Germany. So you can have your initial Class 1 in the Czech Republic and still have the UK as your State of Licence Issue.

The AME has to send off the information to the SOLI NAA. That is not a problem for any AME (including those working in Germany) as you get the pilot’s consent for this.

What is/was an issue with German Medicals was that those pilots for whom the SOLI was Germany could not get a change to a different NAA because the German LBA could not release the whole medical record to the ‘new’ NAA and therefore the ‘new’ NAA could not become the SOLI as they require to have hold of the whole medical record of the pilot.

There have been some changes to the LBA system which means that they can release this now – but they can only do this for people who have had their first German medical post July 2016.

Should people in Germany want to use the services of a UK EASA AME who is fluent in English/German/French and Dutch you can PM me.

EGBE

What Frank has written was also confirmed to me by the AME I saw last night.

Actually (how I understood it) the situation was more subtle, the German Medical Certificate was always acceptable by the UK CAA, but the local German data protection laws prevented release of the medical records. This was the blocking point between UK/Germany on medicals to support license issue until 2016.

The NAAs are not supposed to accept MED160/Equivalent forms directly from the applicant because the can be modified before submission! This is why the UK CAA only accepts submissions directly from NAA approved AMEs.

It’s much clearer now and means I will be able to do a class 2 in Germany in 2022 and keep my license as UK issued… Or will I? Brexit

EDHS, Germany

The UK CAA has always stated its firm intention to remain within EASA.

The domestic price tag on this will be an interesting question.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yeah, I know. I was being provocative

EDHS, Germany
Sign in to add your message