Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Police check on pilots departing before filed EOBT

This is very surprising to me, since the notification to Police is done by email/fax/whatever, and I’ve been told several times they can’t see my flight plan. In my emails I always put the time at which I intend to arrive at the airport, not EOBT.

EGTF, LFTF

Which leads me to the inverse question: If you have PNR for customs, and are delayed for some reason, what do you do? E.g. you arrive two hours later because your car broke down or whatever, after how much time will you notify customs and when does the PNR notice period of 24h or so kick in again?

That (ref post 11) is definitely country dependent. I have just called my local and the system works initially on the GAR form, together with police having access to flight plans and the airport arrivals/departures website. I would be amazed if outside the UK it was ATC’s job to advise the police, especially at airports with no customs/immigration PNR. Another data point is that at certain French airports I know of, almost nobody has ever done the email PNR and nothing has TMK ever come of it. Another data point pointing to a lack of tower involvement is that you can tell the airport officials you are flying say LFBZ-LFRK (and avoid passport checks) but actually file LFBZ-LSZH and nobody will notice. And finally somebody not wanting to draw attention is not going to email anybody, or file the GAR. So I think it must work primarily on flight plan (AFTN+IFPS) surveillance.

RWY20 – this is why I think the PNR email means basically nothing. It is prob99 a formality, designed to show who is really in charge (i.e. the airport really exists for the police, not for aircraft). When your car breaks down, you will get your phone out and delay the flight plan (electronically, or by phoning the departure airport tower and asking them to delay it). The police must be watching the flight plans…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Do I understand it correctly, that you had taxied out onto the airfield, and the police drover or walked out onto an active airfield without ATC clearance, and as a result instructed you to disobey ATC?

If you’d left before EOBT they should have instructed ATC to demand you taxi back in. They should never have ventured airside.

Regarding EOBT, if they were advised of EOBT they should turn up a few mins before that. You obviously have to have started before EOBT in order to depart the stand at EOBT. But why were they advised of EOBT? Did you have to do a notification to them, in which case why not give them a time a few mins earlier.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
The idea that French policemen would shoot at you is absurd

That statement would require a lot of inside knowledge of operational matters, and even then it assumes they don’t have (false) “intelligence” suggesting I am a terrorist

This is absolute baloney (a nicer wording for bullshit) but typical coming from a country where until recently all criminals stopped and surrendered when the unarmed bobby asked them to

The use of firearms follows a strict protocol. The police are only allowed to make use of their firearms if they are themselves threatened, or to protect the population from an imminent threat. So yes. The idea that a policeman will just shoot you is absurd.

The Gendarmerie on the other hand is allowed to fire after having made appropriate warning, even on a fugitive ie someone running away.

LFPT, LFPN

But why were they advised of EOBT? Did you have to do a notification to them, in which case why not give them a time a few mins earlier.

I don’t know but the FP was filed 4 days before. The PNR was done at the same time, and acked by the airport office. So they dealt with the PNR. There is only one email in the LFMV AIP.

I have no reason to believe the airport office did anything other than advise the police with plenty of time to spare. I might phone them… the whole circus heard it on the radio so it could not have gone unnoticed I will email them tonight to try to find out.

Administrator

Aviathor wrote:

The Gendarmerie on the other hand is allowed to fire after having made appropriate warning, even on a fugitive ie someone running away.

Aren’t the officers at airports from the gendarmerie ?

Aren’t the officers at airports from the gendarmerie ?

Not necessarily. They can be customs officers, PAF (Police de l’air et des frontières) or, I suppose, BGTA Brigade de Gendarmerie des Transports Aériens

LFPT, LFPN

This is absolute baloney (a nicer wording for bullshit) but typical coming from a country where until recently all criminals stopped and surrendered when the unarmed bobby asked them to

Not necessarily.

QED.

They can be customs officers, PAF (Police de l’air et des frontières) or, I suppose, BGTA Brigade de Gendarmerie des Transports Aériens

Can you post specimen uniform photos, so I can identify them next time this happens and, if appropriate, ignore their gestures and just fly off?

Patching 9mm holes is easy enough, unless there is damage to a rib in which case you have to de-skin and repair the rib. One can do it all IAW AC43-13.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I don’t know but the FP was filed 4 days before.

I know this is your wont but I still don’t understand why anyone would file so early….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Sign in to add your message