Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you are going to get an engine failure, may as well do it properly

what_next wrote:

I really can’t understand why passengers always make such a fuss about having to stay on board

In economy there’s not enough space for everyone to get up and walk around, and after 5 hours on a transatlantic flight, the seats feel like they are made from concrete. You also don’t have any power points so the batteries on any devices are now dead, and 95% of the supplied entertainment is stuff you aren’t interested in. After 10 hours of being crammed in like sardines you’re at the point of pain and really need to walk around for a good hour, and unless you have an aisle seat you have to bother one or two other people each time you want to get up. If you have the aisle seat and still have some charge left in your laptop, you’re constantly being bothered by the middle/window seater wanting to go to the loo.

In business or first it’s entirely tolerable – you’ve got a lie-flat seat, can get in and out without having to make anyone else move, and the seat is actually reasonably comfortable.

Last Edited by alioth at 03 Oct 16:01
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

5 hours on a transatlantic flight, the seats feel like they are made from concrete

I fly 5-6 hours in DA42 and easily handle this. I also often fly in economy class 12-14 hours and with few streching it’s also bearable. So I don’t understand nervous people and those not following crew instructions.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I decided long ago that life is too short to fly eco class on intercontinental flights. Some dignity must be maintained, after all… at 1.93m.

And I think whatnext is right. Any commercial flight these days is a nightmare, nothing but a bus on wings, a load of primates cramped together and treated like shit. Thank god Europe is so small no flight is much longer than 2hrs

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

…and after 5 hours on a transatlantic flight, the seats feel like they are made from concrete. You also don’t have any power points so the batteries on any devices are now dead, and 95% of the supplied entertainment is stuff you aren’t interested in.

Luckily I don’t have to fly long distance as a passenger very often (and I would never, for no money in the world, fly long distance as pilot). But on our recent summer vacation trip to the States (11 1/2 and 9 hour flight time) I didn’t really suffer. I think on the return flight I did not get up once (my bladder is made of concrete ) and there were enough recent movies I hadn’t seen yet that I didn’t get too bored. There would have been USB outlets at every seat in case I had wished to charge anything. I prefer 10 hours in economy any time over one hour on a German motorway…

EDDS - Stuttgart

The spa and showers are very pleasant with Emirates.

You can then have dinner to order (or whatever meal is appropriate) and a little snooze.

It is really pleasant.

I wonder how much of this cabin entertainment is available on the ground, running off the APU.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EuroFlyer wrote:

I decided long ago that life is too short to fly eco class on intercontinental flights.

Yes, indeed, it’s so much better to have a lot of money. I wonder why so many people choose to have less money. They’re really missing out.

Peter wrote:

I wonder how much of this cabin entertainment is available on the ground, running off the APU.

Well all of it. It can power the entire electrical bus if needed.

achimha wrote:

Yes, indeed, it’s so much better to have a lot of money. I wonder why so many people choose to have less money. They’re really missing out.

LOL!

EGTK Oxford

what_next wrote:

my bladder is made of concrete

You just wait a few years and you’ll be less smug on that count

EGKB Biggin Hill

Yes indeed. And the most important attribute of an airport is an airside w.c. – this should be listed in the AIP. I once got told off at Ajaccio for having a pee round the back of the fuel pumps – apparently I set off an alarm. But there was no other option …

NeilC
EGPT, LMML
Sign in to add your message