Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

So apart from criticising the way other countries tackle the problems of crime how about some serious suggestions as to how we stop the the ever escalating crime rates in the UK? Punishments here in the UK (unlike some other places) appear to be just a very sick joke and this is proved by the rate of recidivism amongst convicted law breakers.

UK, United Kingdom

UK has the highest prison population in the EU, so perhaps the current policy of building even more prisons needs a rethink.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

You might find “The Secret Barrister” a refreshing and enlightening read.

Reading the reviews for the book, I’m depressed by tales of the system already.

Egnm, United Kingdom

Firm and robust case management is whats needed.

Noooo, the answer is simple. We just need Lord Denning

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Like William Gordon Stables I can see the romantic side of a nomadic lifestyle, and especially not paying council tax , but conforming to society just makes life so much easier.

Travellers and aviation don’t mix very well (photo from here, about 2/3 down).

Does anyone have a decent English translation for ‘aire de grand passage’?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I have been trying to think of a serious point to make, probably impossible for such a complicated discussion. However, in so far as any state funded operation is concerned, I find it utterly depressing that inconveniencing so many people because a schedule cannot be kept is unacceptable. Whether it be hours in a drs waiting room to hours in a jury waiting room it has to stop. In private practice you would quickly have no clients, yet because it is funded by the taxpayer it is considered normal.

One of the benefits of getting to choose where you spend your money.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Firm and robust case management is whats needed.

Are you speaking from experience? As one on whose shoulders is delegated “firm and robust case management”, I can say that, as far as Justice goes, it is, at best, a mixed blessing.

I reiterate; for those who are really interested in the UK Criminal Justice System, it is worth reading The Secret Barrister. I do not agree with everything in the book, and there is a feeling that everyone else apart from barristers (ie Police, CPS, politicians, ministers, lay magistrates, district judges, judges, legal advisers, solicitors, probation, prison service etc) are all a waste of time, while the thin line between society and anarchy is held only by the poor overworked, underpaid barristers, which is obviously tosh, but if you want to get a reasonable impression of how it all works that does not come from the Daily Mail, it’s a good start.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Noooo, the answer is simple. We just need Lord Denning

Seems like someone who really appreciates the word “hanging”. Sadly I think in this case it’s unclear what the smiley face means (humoristic or “yeah! let’s hang the bastards”)

Sign in to add your message