Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Where are these reports?

Please note that for purely political statements we have a dedicated thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Where are these reports?

The news were out last month in the street:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-10/boeing-regulators-delay-fixes-prompted-by-lion-air-crash-wsj

Along pilot rumours website:
https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/618252-boeing-737-max-software-fixes-due-lion-air-crash-delayed.html

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Mar 23:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Well… rwy20’s URL is behind a paywall, but I searched the others for “trump” and see no evidence for

“Mr. Trump is trying to wash the blood off his hands”

So can the traditional mainland “European intellectual” dislike of the US be left out, please?

Regarding the Boeing share price suggestion, here you go

Their sales are over 100BN USD so they can deal with this setback.

Administrator

it was a good short I have to admit. Maybe when it’s further down it will be long again…

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Peter wrote:

Well… rwy20’s URL is behind a paywall, but I searched the others for “trump” and see no evidence for “Mr. Trump is trying to wash the blood off his hands”

Ibra posted a link to pprune which is not behind a paywall, did you not click on that or would that not suit your argument?

The government shutdown lasted for 35 days, the fix was now scheduled for April after an initial target date in January, and the Ethiopian crash happened on March 10. So it is as I wrote, “one could argue” that had the government not been shut down, the crash may not have happened. The responsibility for the shutdown lies squarely with Mr. Trump, as he has himself asserted multiple times on camera.

So can the traditional mainland “European intellectual” dislike of the US be left out, please?

Had Silvaire not started to discuss the political side of this accident (and I think in this case they are important), I wouldn’t have felt compelled to voice my opinion whether this is “good politics”. I think it will turn out that the attempt to protect Boeing by being the last country to ground the Max fleet will backfire, because normally the aviation authority of the state of manufacture had the leading role in taking such decisions, and other countries would then follow – be it for grounding a fleet or for letting it take off again. Now, other countries will feel compelled to scrutinize what’s going on with the FAA certifications much more closely. I would not be surprised if this strategic mistake had to do with someone in the White House having a phone call with the Boeing CEO and trying to solve problems in his usual way. Certainly doesn’t work in the aviation world.

If the moderator of the forum then thinks he needs to peg the participants of his forum “ad hominem” with inflammatory labels because he doesn’t like an argument, I think there is no point in having a forum.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 14 Mar 08:43

“blood on his hands” is way over the top.

Yes I read them.

Administrator

Rwy20 wrote:

I would not be surprised if this strategic mistake had to do with someone in the White House having a phone call with the Boeing CEO and trying to solve problems in his usual way. Certainly doesn’t work in the aviation world.

Actually that appears exactly how post lion air the things have been going. We don’t know the details of course but it appears from what I hear that following the Ethiopian crash at some stage the powers that are in the US saw that there is no way out but ground the plane. Whether it was the FAA which “based on evidence” took that step or Trump forced them is beyond the point, fact is that the FAA was forced into an action they should have taken much earlier.

And if it turns out that some lobbying as to keep a unsafe plane flying has lead to the Ethiopian crash, then the term you mention Peter is not over the top but a fact.

What is good to hear is that it won’t be the US who reads out the recorders but the BEA. Even though the BEA has been under doubt as well, those are usually in crashes involving airbus. Of the available bodies which are equipped to do the job, it appears they are the best choice in this situation.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

it was a good short I have to admit. Maybe when it’s further down it will be long again…

I reckon the market has factored in (or thinks it has) the downside

Administrator

Administrator
Sign in to add your message