Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

From here

Maoraigh wrote:

The continuing closure decision was likely at a high, (Government?) level.

Let us not forget who the Secretary of State for Transport is. I am convinced that he is only kept in the Cabinet to make the rest of them look competent.

EGKB Biggin Hill

From here

dejwu wrote:

the idiots won

Generally, it is not idiots who win, but those with no compunction, guilt or shame, and with no respect for truth.

That is why so many successful top managers are sociopaths/psychopaths/narcissists (some estimates say 20% of CEOs). That is how Trump became President, for example.

But in my experience of such people, they become rich but not happy.

EGKB Biggin Hill

But in my experience of such people, they become rich but not happy.

Wishful thinking of those who have nothing. Ah those rich folks are not happy. My experience (from afar) tells me the opposite. As a salaryman in the lower half of the population I can see money equal as freedom, poverty is enslavement of one sort or the other. Not necessarily to a employer but to daily life, where chores, work and every day worry eat up any sort of enjoyment and dreams you may ever have. If you can throw money at this, things change fast.

I have seen people like that who live lifes the normal people can never aspire to and to do so very happily indeed. Folks who can live their dreams, can do the trips they want and talk about it. Most are not the super rich, but middle class entrepreneurs who have found a proper life work balance, something which most people are incapable of doing.

My personal happiness is my daughter. But I wish I could offer her more than just the daily trip to the playground. People like that can throw money at this and will.

Not all rich folks are Donald Trump’s. Actually, those whom I have met during the time i was in airplane handling mostly were not.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Wishful thinking of those who have nothing. Ah those rich folks are not happy. My experience (from afar) tells me the opposite. As a salaryman in the lower half of the population I can see money equal as freedom, poverty is enslavement of one sort or the other. Not necessarily to a employer but to daily life, where chores, work and every day worry eat up any sort of enjoyment and dreams you may ever have. If you can throw money at this, things change fast.

There has (perhaps not surprising) been research done on this, by Daniel Kahneman no less. It was a very large study of almost 500,000 americans. It showed that happiness increases with income up to a point but not above. In the US context that point was at a yearly income of about USD 75,000. That figure is likely to be different in other countries depending on things like the general cost level and availability of subsidies for services such as health care and education.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That is not surprising as a general statistic, due to the number of skeletons which tend to accumulate in your cupboards as you move into the true uber rich bracket.

Also, there are far fewer true serial enterpreneurs than most would believe. Most of them made their money by exploiting a particular opportunity and cannot repeat it, so they hit the buffers pretty hard eventually – unless they were smart enough to stash some away, which many weren’t (especially in the finance sphere where massive gearing is the name of the game). Or they end up on The Apprentice The few exceptions (I know of some) are pretty remarkable and tend to be a different personality, too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

There has (perhaps not surprising) been research done on this, by Daniel Kahneman no less. It was a very large study of almost 500,000 americans. It showed that happiness increases with income up to a point but not above. In the US context that point was at a yearly income of about USD 75,000. That figure is likely to be different in other countries

In my area of the US, as in many areas, you cannot support a family, make investments for the future etc very well on that income plus benefits so it certainly did not maximize my happiness. That is the salary of a fairly junior engineer, car mechanic etc – so one interpretation is that people are happiest when young and single, with a job! Studies like this don’t mean much more generally IMO.

If I were forced to say what income level is happiest for many people, I’d say $200K, having grown into that job/business by an age that tends to mean grown children, renewed freedom and (hopefully) good health remaining. At that point the pressure comes off but the money remains Some others find happiness with little income and little work, and some who are driven to achieve more in life need more income to do it. I don’t think my view or anybody else’s on the subject of happiness versus income is very meaningful given the infinite number of lifestyles that can be chosen at any income – basically it’s not something that can be reasonably correlated IMO.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Jan 13:58

The abstract of that study:

Recent research has begun to distinguish two aspects of subjective well-being. Emotional well-being refers to the emotional quality of an individual’s everyday experience—the frequency and intensity of experiences of joy, stress, sadness, anger, and affection that make one’s life pleasant or unpleasant. Life evaluation refers to the thoughts that people have about their life when they think about it. We raise the question of whether money buys happiness, separately for these two aspects of well-being. We report an analysis of more than 450,000 responses to the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, a daily survey of 1,000 US residents conducted by the Gallup Organization. We find that emotional well-being (measured by questions about emotional experiences yesterday) and life evaluation (measured by Cantril’s Self-Anchoring Scale) have different correlates. Income and education are more closely related to life evaluation, but health, care giving, loneliness, and smoking are relatively stronger predictors of daily emotions. When plotted against log income, life evaluation rises steadily. Emotional well-being also rises with log income, but there is no further progress beyond an annual income of ∼$75,000. Low income exacerbates the emotional pain associated with such misfortunes as divorce, ill health, and being alone. We conclude that high income buys life satisfaction but not happiness, and that low income is associated both with low life evaluation and low emotional well-being.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Maybe that’s another way of saying that happiness is driven by health and relationships and little else, provided you have enough to live on. And, as Silvaire suggests, the phase of your life when you are most likely to have good health and relatively worry-free relationships is before you get too far into your 30s

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would say it is difficult to put a number to it, but what I would describe as financial means which will provide freedom to a degree is if you are making enough and have enough reserves to be able to live as you like.

In aviation terms, this means being able to afford to fly, to afford to travel from time to time, to afford owning an airplane and being given the freedom to actually use it at your leisure.

As to amounts, that is widely variable depending on where you live. Seeing that the average income alone in Europe varies between 200 and 8000 Euros per month, someone who lives in a 200 Euros/month country can be quite well off with 1000 per month, whereas he’d outright starve elsewhere.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I would say it is difficult to put a number to it, but what I would describe as financial means which will provide freedom to a degree is if you are making enough and have enough reserves to be able to live as you like.

I’m not sure that is the correct interpretation. To me it is more that when struggling to make the ends meet, this will amplify the otherwise ordinary stress, anger, sadness etc of life and obscure the good times. The feeling of stress, anger, sadness grows and the feeling of joy and happiness shrinks. When the struggle to make ends meet are gone, all the other facts of life are still there, only from that point on, there is no way to further increase joy or depress anger. The feeling of both anger and joy are “pure” and true, and you cannot make it more pure by pouring money into it.

Transferring this to aviation (light recreational GA) I would say financial means can be replaced with the inverse of bureaucratic control. More nonsensical bureaucracy will shrink or remove the “good feeling” we all are looking for. Remove all (nonsensical) bureaucracy and we are left with a pure and true feeling

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message