Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

These guys, with much better instrumentation than we will ever have, did not believe what they were seeing on their fuel gauges until the engines flamed out

My own policy with fuel gauges is ’don’t trust them – but if they show less than you think you should have, then trust them’. I’ve landed early before now on a long flight where fuel gauges showed less than what my calculated amount was. Good job too because the fuel gauges were actually correct.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

My own policy with fuel gauges is ’don’t trust them – but if they show less than you think you should have, then trust them’.

Fuel gauges are mostly better than their rep, as long as you fly straight and steady. And I fully agree: If at a fuel check they show less than scheduled FOB, it will be them who get the priority. Whichever shows the smaller amount. Air Transat being the classical example why this is a pretty neat idea.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

From here

This is indeed becoming relevant to Ukraine which will be trying to operate the F16s in a dispersed manner (given that Russia has total cruise missile coverage of Ukraine) but if we unlock the Ukraine thread we will get a bunch of pro Russia posters try to trash it. Problem is that 1 or 2 of them are good forum contributors and they will probably get banned… Opinions?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Let’s not get them banned. I can do without a war-based theme / thread.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

The Ukraine thread I found to have good information, which is curated and more in depth than mainstream media. However, it’s of limited relevance to GA. Personally I’m in favour of it, but don’t have any constructive ideas to keep it neutral. A mandatory €1 donation in order to post? It’s a shame people have to take sides, but completely natural. Overall, it would be better to not ban anyone who contributes seriously on GA, which is the main purpose of the forum, so I think leave the Ukraine thread closed.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

but if we unlock the Ukraine thread we will get a bunch of pro Russia posters try to trash it.

Before it even starts?

tmo wrote:

Let’s not get them banned. I can do without a war-based theme / thread.

Time has shown that these threads may not work. It appears to just upset everyone. It was like Covid, or anything for that matter that has divided and vociferous opinion. The xtreme get canceled, the centre right/left get set upon by a ’’gang’’, the timid just yawn.

My opinion of course.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Putin is a dangerous despot. Probably the largest imminent danger we face right now. I have nothing against Russia (they make lots of cool airplanes and related stuff ), but Putin and his “politics” is another matter. To keep the thread closed to protect a couple of pro-Putin individuals is wrong IMO.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

To keep the thread closed to protect a couple of pro-Putin individuals is wrong IMO.

I tend to agree.

What if the thread were opened, but we just agreed to ignore any pro-Russia stuff and not engage? They would soon get bored, I’m sure.

Or those who contribute elsewhere but post pro-Russia stuff could be warned that carrying on with it will lead to a ban.

Is it possible to ban certain people from certain threads, but not others?

EGLM & EGTN

What if the thread were opened, but we just agreed to ignore any pro-Russia stuff and not engage? They would soon get bored, I’m sure.

On past record, they won’t get bored.

Or those who contribute elsewhere but post pro-Russia stuff could be warned that carrying on with it will lead to a ban.

That is a problem. The covid discussion led to a number of anti-vacc contributors disappear, as a protest. I still find it amazing how many apparently intelligent people buy into the 5G/nanoparticle/conspiracy stuff.

In the Ukraine context, it is equally amazing how many apparently intelligent people believe that e.g. US (and the much smaller European) support for Ukraine is done primarily to weaken Russia and who are completely happy with Russia conquering Ukraine, and then what? But covid was a highly useful thread, for disseminating information on how to deal with the various restrictions, whereas Ukraine is more a “general interest” thing.

Is it possible to ban certain people from certain threads, but not others?

Not unless a great deal of money is spent on changing the software.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well it is called free speech. Everyone has an opinion. Well almost everyone. It is what makes us human.
Pro Russia/Pro Ukraine, Pro Israel/Pro Palestine. The list is endless, however if the forum operates a thread then it should be prepared to get the spectrum of comment or opinion.
Peter wrote:

The covid discussion led to a number of anti-vacc contributors disappear, as a protest.

Yes and rightly so. Anytime anyone posted against vaccine they were rounded upon and threatened with cancellation. That is not an open and free debate.

They went to Rumble and OOOO Tooob. Better time management. But the irony here is that even before a thread has been opened up, sides are very much set.

‘’Not havin that lot of conspiracy theorists posting misinformation’’…more MSM than MSM…

However Peter it is your trainset but would suggest that a recognition of varied and disparate views is accepted before opening up the ’’debate’’.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message