Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK national licence, and conversions of it

Unless the UK CAA as an ICAO contracting nation explicitly communicates to the US and other ICAO contracting nations and the license holder himself that they have downgraded their ICAO compliant, non-expiring licence to a smaller and more restricted category of aircraft, obviously everybody will continue to recognize the validity that is spelled out on the licence. What else would you expect?

Even if UK did notify other ICAO contracting nations of the downgrade, it would difficult to communicate because the class of ‘EASA Aircraft’ that licence holders would be prevented from flying further doesn’t exist outside of Europe.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jan 20:48

Silvaire wrote:

Gatwick may be on the other side of the world – as I think you would understand!

I certainly do !

Silvaire wrote:

You could certainly argue that such an individual should get a stand alone FAA Certificate to eliminate the issue of European licencing forever,

Exactly

Silvaire wrote:

but I think many would have no idea that they need to maintain an ongoing interaction with the UK given that their UK licence was issued as ICAO compliant, valid for the planes they flew and still fly, and non-expiring.

I know nothing about the old UK PPL licenses, I freely admit, but at the very least wouldn’t said people find it strange never having to do a medical while everyone else has to? As an aside, the EASA licenses are also valid for life.

Pilots flying on an FAA pilot certificate (regardless of type or basis) get an FAA medical and FAA flight review. As far as I can tell no action has ever been required to maintain a U.K. Pilot’s Licence indefinitely as an underlying basis for that FAA certificate. Maybe updating home address when it changes? Is that correct?

Silvaire wrote:

Pilots flying on an FAA pilot certificate (regardless of type or basis) get an FAA medical

61.75 licenses do not require FAA medical.

Unless a non-expiring UK Pilot License requires a current UK medical endorsement attached to the UK licence in order to be valid, an FAA medical meets the needs of the FAA 61.75 pilot certificate and is fairly obviously what a US-resident immigrant pilot is going to obtain to meet the FAA medical requirement. Reference here.

Again, the relevant point is that no action has ever been required to maintain a U.K. Pilot’s Licence indefinitely as an underlying basis for an FAA certificate. Maybe updating home address when it changes? Is that correct?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jan 22:25

Silvaire wrote:

Unless a non-expiring UK Pilot License requires a current UK medical endorsement attached to the UK licence in order to be valid

Silvaire, do you know (as in legal evidence) of any issuing country where the licence is valid without a current medical issued by an AME designated by said country’s CAA?

[ sarcastic parts deleted… normally I delete your entire post, Shorrick – Peter ]

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 24 Jan 06:22
Shorrick_Mk2 24-Jan-17 06:12 #34

Silvaire wrote:
Unless a non-expiring UK Pilot License requires a current UK medical endorsement attached to the UK licence in order to be valid

Silvaire, do you know (as in legal evidence) of any country where the licence is valid without a current medical issued by an AME designated by said country’s CAA?

@ Silvaire

What does valid mean?

In order to exercise its privileges in full you will need a Medical Certificate; if you only want to use it in UK airspace in a limited number of scenarios a new style UK CAA self declaration may suffice.

@ Shorrick

As per the above – in UK airspace with a self declaration.

EGBE

Aviathor wrote:

Don’t rejoice too soon. You absolutely do not know whether the UK will choose to remain an EASA member state or not just like Norway and Switzerland which are not members of the EU but are member of EASA.

Norway and Switzerland are “members” of EASA because of their “close to EU membership” treaties governing free trade. The UK has made it clear they will not make a similar treaty. I don’t see how the UK can continue to be a member of EASA when they leave. They may chose to have similar regulations and so on, but part of EASA? I don’t think so.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

This isn’t a great data point (because one can be illegal so easily in this business, and many are, in various ways) but a pilot I know flew in the USA for many decades, till recently, on a UK PPL, UK medical, and a 61.75. Initially G-reg (yes, a G-reg based in the USA) and then for many years N-reg. Never had a US medical or a US BFR. He doesn’t live in the USA anymore.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AnthonyQ wrote:

True….I flew for quite a number of years in the UK on my Australian PPL….. but there are (were?) conditions: Private ops, Day VFR only….

Things have changed since then.

The 2016 ANO only makes mention of non commercial operations in this regard. There is no restriction in the 2016 ANO to any particular flight conditions or class of airspace for non-EASA ICAO compliant licenses.

There are also more aircraft that are Annex II than just LAA permit types and microlights. The Piper Apache, for instance, is Annex II and a G-reg Apache is on a national CofA not an EASA one.

Since this is the case right now for aircraft the CAA regulates under national regs, in the event of a “hard Brexit”, I fully expect EASA license holders to be able to fly G-reg aircraft – at the very least non-commercially – with the full privileges of their EASA license.

Last Edited by alioth at 24 Jan 09:54
Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message