Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Heard in France yesterday

A turboprop professionally crewed looking for a quick turnaround.

CREW:
Requesting engine start and have you got our flight plan

ATC:
Standby

I havent traced your flight plan yet

CREW:
Can we start engines

ATC:
You can, but I havent traced your flight plan

CREW:
Have you found our flight plan

(All in the space of about a minute)

ATC:
No, but we do receive special training on finding flight plans.

Made me smile anyway, as our French friends are not often known for a sense of humour, never mind slightly subtle humour.

Not a word from the crew after than mind you.

Just came across this old post while doing some admin…

There is a lot of this around. A bizjet or a ME TP having a paid crew is not a guarantee that they (or at least the one doing the radio) is any good. I have an mp3 somewhere (would never post it) of an absolutely comical exchange here in the UK, which went on for some minutes. If I do say a 5hr flight, with the sound recorder running in order to get the ATC exchanges for a movie to be edited later (for obvious reasons I almost never run the sound recorder when there are passengers; most people don’t like it) it is almost certain that at least one “professional crew” will appear in really bad light. So I have to carefully edit out all of that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I recently overheard a professional crew, with a palpable level of urgency in the guy’s voice, ask for the parking stand nearest the toilets. We’re all human.

EGTT, The London FIR

Still makes me chuckle but when I first started flying some real jack the lads turned up at home base with a new rotary. Some heated conversation ensued about their lack of adherence to the instructions they were given by ATC and they were very firmly “told off”. Of course you usually expect that to be the end of the matter, but not this time. They pointed out that if they did not get an apology they would come and “sort out” the controller. Of course no apology was forthcoming. It wouldnt (perhaps couldnt) happen today but they sure did and ATC had to go off air while the non existent security in those days was called. All very unsavoury, but it had a slighly amusing side because you just would never imagine a crew would take matters into their hands to that extent. Not that many years ago it was still talked about in the tower.

In which banana republic was that allowed to happen? To what degree were the “lads” persecuted?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

That would be the UK Banana Republic

The funniest exchange I ever overheard was an aircraft checking in with Brussels (on a north-south transit towards France). The crew was surprised by the waypoint, and in the conversation it transpired that the flight plan ATC had and where the crew though they were going were quite different – with different destination airports!

So far, so normal – but after the crew consulted with their ops (presumably on another frequency) it turned that ATC had the RIGHT flight plan, and the crew was heading to the wrong place…

Biggin Hill
I would have loved to see the reaction of the flight crew after landing when the flight attendant announced ‘welcome to xxxx’
Private field, Mallorca, Spain
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message