Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lithium fire - what would you do?

We carry both a glove and a bag. If the battery does go on fire or start to smoke you will probably burn your hands badly if you try to throw it out withoutthe glove. At the same time the heat will pass through.the glove quickly if it reaches melting point, hence the bag.
Although for portable devices we tend to have a rule.of having it charged over 70% before any flight.

France

Peter wrote:

Posts moved to existing thread.

Sorry, I did a search first, but probably lacked patience (likely because I have to much time at hand!!). Thanks for redirecting it.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Doers anyone have any reccommended lithium fire bags for ipad sized items?

Thanks

Lee on Solent, United Kingdom

An iPad sized lithium fire bag…🤪

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

I got this from Amazon.

EBST, Belgium

I see these cheap ones along with some worth between 500 and 1.000 euros, so wonder whether the cheap ones are any good.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

At that price, maybe worth testing one by setting an old phone on fire. May be educational.

Biggin Hill

Where are the 1k priced ones?

These bags exist primarily for the electric model plane business. Those batteries have no protection and the charging tends to be primitive e.g. no cell temperature monitoring. And mechanical damage is quite likely to set them off, and they burn really well (plenty of videos out there).

If you crash a LIPO powered model plane, there is a fair chance of a nice fire but it will be too late to use the bag But there seems to be a greater awareness of LIPO fire risk there.

A fairly big current risk seems to be e-bikes. They seem to combine the best ingredients:

• a large battery
  • a primitive charger
  • being charged
  • lots of being chucked around so risk of mechanical damage

Fire services report a lot of calls to e-bike fires, and it is always too late to save the bike.

One also cannot avoid in-flight charging of a tablet, except on very short flights. This takes us back to here where is seems clear that unless you are running a 10 year old (and low-performance) Samsung tablet, you need a mount with built-in fans.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is an interesting read, claiming FAA certification is bogus..:

https://www.gleimaviation.com/2022/08/30/lithium-ion-battery-fires-and-containment-bags/

Where are the 1k priced ones?

OK, not quite 1k but maybe with shipping they would be

Last Edited by aart at 23 Jul 18:13
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

claiming FAA certification is bogus

No surprise… portable equipment, how could it be?

Historically, portable equipment would need some kind of approval if it was mandatory-carriage. So e.g. an O2 system needs approved parts if it is in an AFMS – basically in most turbo engined planes, and that also leads to the max 18k cannula altitude and a mask above that. But a plane without a fitted O2 system has no such limitations.

So a certified lithium bag would be relevant to where it is mandatory-carriage. Probably on an airliner?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message