Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can you get skis in the back of your plane?

Each Saturday morning during the ski season I had to go to work, that was the price of being foolish enough to be checked out for the Cat C airfield at Chambrey.

The outbound trip would be full of fit enthusiastic skiers all keen to get on the slopes, the return trip was slow to board due to those who could not climb the steps very quickly, as we descending into LGW we also had to call the handling agent to order a large number of wheelchairs, the number of passengers returning was always slightly less than those outbound………… Presumably they had to make other arrangements !

This requires me to ask if you think it is a good idea to pilot your aircraft to a ski resort when you might have to leave it there for four months while you recover from your holiday ?

The DA42 is fitted with a ski tube in the rear baggage area, if any DA42 owners are unlucky enough to have a fall and want a reliable pilot/engineer to recover their aircraft from one of the ski resorts I am avalable to do this for a modest fee plus expenses !

For my Piper Arrow there is a specific STC for putting a tube into the fuselage which is designed to take two sets of skis + poles and/or fishing rods which is another favourite pastime of our American friends.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

For my Piper Arrow there is a specific STC for putting a tube into the fuselage

With the added benefit that then the aircraft wouldn’t be so nose heavy

LSZK, Switzerland

Prior to flying to Europe once or twice a month we would do a midweek ski day trip usually Thurs or Tuesday weather and people’s time coordinated.

2 Grown American sized men dressed for winter
2 European sized men (that were closer to FAA standard weight passengers, weighed of course without cloths) dressed for winter.
4 Skies, 4 boots, 4 poles, 4 ski bags
3 hrs of fuel on board.

Longest trip 2hrs. had to be VFR most places had an instrument approach except my Favorite Mountain Sunday River’s Col Dyke Airport in Maine I believe 0B1 I googled it and this is one of the posts by the town of Bethel:

.Town of Bethel Maine – Bethel Regional Airport (0B1)
www.bethelmaine.org/pages/bethelme_airport/index
The Bethel Regional Airport is a NO FEE, unattended VFR airport open continuously with a 3,818′ × 75′ asphalt runway (Rwy 14/32) in excellent condition

Self Serve gas cheap cheap cheap. Has lights pilot controlled. 98% of the time if it snowed the night before by 8am it was cleared off.
Has electric outlets for Tanis and plane heater plug ins for free.

They might have discontinued the shuttle bus pickup so might have to rent a cab. $15 ($20 with a tip) split 4 ways in each direction. The shuttle bus was free but took 20 mins to get to the mountain the cab takes 12mins. We would call the cab in flight when 10 mins out and he would be arriving as we finished plugging in and unloading. If the cab or bus is late there is an unattended FBO shack to warm up in Free.

We brought our own equipment since most everyone had their own but the big reason was that once we changed into our ski gear in the lodge we didnt have to wait for the ski equipment rental which could easily consume an hour waiting our turn.

The main problem with these mountain airports was the Wx reporting. Since I was up 5 AM checking on the WX and airport conditions there was not much info. At a couple of the airports I got the personal number of the snow clearing team leader to discuss the conditions. He would let me know if the airport would be clear and when they expected the snow to stop. They were very accurate with those.

Sorry just reminiscing. But yes a C210 with TKS did all that.

We would always do a night flight home. Usually arriving around 7 PM Then dinner and drinks.

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 23 Dec 18:43
KHTO, LHTL

Peter_G wrote:

For my Piper Arrow there is a specific STC for putting a tube into the fuselage which is designed to take two sets of skis + poles and/or fishing rods which is another favourite pastime of our American friends.

Hi Peter @Peter_G – any reference to this STC? I tried to google it, unsuccessfully for now.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick,
I’ve just sent you a PM.
I post it also here in case you read this first and/or because it’s information may be of use to forum readers now, or in the future.

Patrick,
Thanks for your email.
I’d like to help but, unfortunately, at the moment I am walking in The Lakes (despite the current gale) and won’t be back at home in Kent till next Monday.
At home, I have a Maintenance book for PA28 produced, I think, by the Pipers Owners Association.
This contained a large list of STC’s which definitely contained one for inserting a tube (a lightweight drain pipe?) through the back wall for either skis or fishing rods.
I saw one once in the States; but couldn’t tell whether the STC was for a kit or simply permission for DIY.
I’ve tracked down the following STC on the web which might be of use:
https://www.univair.com/atlee-dodge/piper-parts/view-all/sa262al-round-fishing-pole-tube-stc-only/
Whether, though, one could do anything by next weekend is another question . . .
If you would like me to peruse this matter further when I get home, let me know.
But unfortunately that may be too late.
Best wishes,
Peter

I used to worry about this but nowadays skis are much shorter than say 30 years ago.

The general position is that they should be up to your chin and no more than up to your nose – unless you are a championship level skier in which case you may go for longer.

I find I can get skis diagonally across the TB20 luggage compartment. And getting them into some sort of “tube” in the rear fuselage would be a bit of an exercise anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

. . . but nowadays skis are much shorter than say 30 years ago.

I think you are right about skis – and to be fair, that was the question.
But , if one needs to transport fishing rods (admittedly, there appears to be less demand in Europe for this than in the USA) the problem of length still applies.

Many years ago we did the cargo aircraft and transported a pair of skis plus a lot of baggage for friends after an airshow and autojumble . Certainly only two of us in the front seats , no other passengers, but cargo. I wonder with Cessnas you could put down back seats for long objects all along the length of baggage compartment and into cabin – no ? Vic

vic
EDME

Cessnas are trucks. You can easily remove the rear seats. If you move the front seats all the way forward most of the door opening will be available for loading and unloading of the plane.

EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message