Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who has the best hangar?

For now I am stuck with this.

Is the car registration a hidden sign for future aircraft plans?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

@Christophe: about 45 minutes single hand to get her out and ready to fly. With help it’s only 5 minutes faster.

EDLE

Off topic, Achim – how do you like the i3? Straight EV or REX?

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Well, certainly not the best hangar:

It’s a bit dark, unheated and humid in the winter and it’s shared. BUT: I can do oil changes and other maintenance there, the airport is towered wit LLZ an RNAV approaches and it’s only a twenty minutes drive from home.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Krister_L wrote:

how do you like the i3? Straight EV or REX?

Straight electric. I don’t think there is any better car on the market than the i3 (and that includes everything with 4 wheels) — provided you can live with the range. The car is nothing like all the rest with the use of new materials and the whole ambience. They tell you the range is 180km-200km which is nonsense (maybe downhill without radio and ventilation). I have to admit that I drive it fast to the airfield (130kph) and that is a true range killer. When it’s cold outside, my range is 90km. Distance to my hangar is 50km. Next year they plan to release a facelift with improved batteries and the next generation is expected to provide at least double the range. For me it works today, it’s my only car since February 2014 and I haven’t felt limited in any way. I never travel long distance by car, I have the train station next to my house, taking me directly into the airport terminal. It would be different if I lived elsewhere.

Krister_L wrote:

Off topic

To bring it back on topic, without my own hangar with electricity, I could not own an electric car as my only car. When I’m at the airfield, it’s parked inside the hangar and connected to the 230V outlet. The i3 is the best of all when it comes to 230V wall plug charging but it’s not that great when it comes to AC charging because it only has a single phase transformer. Still, I can charge from empty to full in 3.5h in my garage at home. I could do that in the hangar, too if I installed a 400V plug there and bought another wall charger but so far now need. If I drive fast to the airfield in winter, I have to stay there at least 3h (with my 230V charger) to get back home without worries.

achimha wrote:

I don’t think there is any better car on the market than the i3

It depends on the criteria used – if it is looks, then many come to mind

Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, a “most reputable” german newspaper, once wrote the i3 looks like a toaster fallen from the kitchen table

So you say the i3 is ideal for people whose hangar is within walking distance, during summer?

For me, 90km range without recharging would diminish utility to sub-GA levels…

LSZK, Switzerland

I wouldn’t manage to get by without the REX version probably, but that might do it for commuting at least.
What I can’t really understand is why they bothered to put an ICE in the car with a thimble size fuel tank. If you’re going to use petrol might as well make it a decent range…
There is some really interesting tech going into that vehicle, the type one could imagine a large volume aircraft manufacturer to adopt if large volume was a possibility.

Looks are subjective – I think it looks ok – better than a first generation Prius and the Leaf to name a few.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

(this thread is about the) Best Hangar, not car !!

:-)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 14 Nov 12:26

As I mentioned, it works for me, given the distances and the recharging option in my hangar. Otherwise I wouldn’t have bought it and I can see that it wouldn’t work for a lot of people. However, if I wanted to drive what works for everybody, I’d own a Golf

If there was a 1h endurance electric pleasure aircraft, I might buy that. The next battery generation might make that possible.

Best Hangar, not car !!

And even not a Cirrus ;)

But indeed back to subject: mine is a bit like Terbang’s < quote > It’s a bit dark, unheated and humid in the winter and it’s shared. < / quote >

Like Terbang I am happy to work on the plane either in the hangar or, weather permitting, just in front.

What annoys me most is the planes parked behind, to get them out their owners must shuffle the other planes around, mine included; I’ve already found it with another plane’s wing pressed into (the cloth of) mine, luckily without damage.

Last Edited by at 14 Nov 12:26
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message