Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What stops you posting on EuroGA?

I enjoy reading all the trip reports on EuroGA, whether VFR or IFR, but particularly enjoy those that consist of relatively short hops (way shorter than 7 hours) between cosy airfields. I do not care about reading about flight preparations except if it is very concise and weather related or otherwise noteworthy.

I particularly appreciate nice aerial pictures and pictures/descriptions of the destinations.

If may be curious about other types of flying that what I do, like jet type ratings, float plane flying, bush (or shrub) flying, aerobatics…

LFPT, LFPN

I have been away for a day to learn skiing (sorry no writeup on this ) so I can do something useful at say Lausanne, and I come back to a year’s worth of posts!

Tomorrow I will move some posts into the new non certified forum section. But I hope some of you are going to beat me to it.
EDIT: I moved a load of threads tonight, based on keyword searches. Astonishing how much homebuilt related material there was!

As regards my example of Shoreham to Goodwood, unfortunately that shows that almost any language construct can be a hostage to fortune

Also BTW I don’t think EuroGA is for “fanatics” and if it was it would be a great way to put new people off from contributing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Vieke wrote:

1. Language. I am not a native speaker and I am not good in any language at all. To make a long post or trip report, it takes me very long because I have to check and double check my language a lot.

Hi there. I am not a native speaker either but i find that with the years of posting in differend fora it takes less and less time and also gets more fluent. You may find that the more you do it the better it gets. But from what you write here, I don’t really see much of a problem with your English at all.

Vieke wrote:

3. Time . I can make a trip report of my VfR trip to Istanbul in september or my VfR trip to spain and back this weekend. But it takes me hours and I don’t have a lot of spare time and I do have a lot of other things to do in that same time.

Oh, really, I would think that is a great thing to write about. Not many of us have been to Turkey and doing it VFR is certainly EXACTLY what many of us would like to read here. I would also think that anyone who is capable of planning and executing a flight like that has quite a lot to contribute here!

Vieke wrote:

I also don’t have the feeling a vfr trip report ( when everything goes as planned or with a little diversion because of the weather) is interesting for the many ifr flyers here who make similar trips but ifr. And mostly, the destination was already one of many pilots before me.
On the other side, I like to read the ifr trip reports myself

For me, most trip reports are interesting, whether I’ve been there or not. And you do give the best reason yourself in your last sentence

True, writing on an Ipad or worse phone is tiring, but there are nice little bluetooth keyboards which help. I got one for a few euros a few months ago and love it.

I do hope to read more of your flights

@all those who feel intimidated by the “expertise” here:

Don’t. Feel intimidated I mean. We are not the club house with all the “old boys” who will shout any newbie down, just the opposite. I’ve had this impression elsewhere but certainly not here. Do keep it coming. We all belong just in one cathegory of folks → Aviators. Some fly VFR, others IFR, most fly both. Just because some post more than others does not mean YOUR post is not interesting.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

europaxs wrote:

wouldn’t post here, since it would match chapter “no no’s in VFR- flying”.

Um, you know the “I learnt about flying from that” column in one of the American mags? Exactly that. It is exactly such flights which we others could learn from.

Alexis,

the expression Fanatic is not something I’d attribute to any of us here, it does have a rather bad undertone these days. In most people’s comprehension a Fanatic is not a very pleasant character and it is associated with some very bad stuff.

I think the expression you are looking may be “Enthusiast”. I think most of us qualify for that.

Ok, you are an enthusiast. Can i stay fanatic? ;-)

fanatic (fəˈnætɪk)

1. a person whose enthusiasm or zeal for something is extreme or beyond normal limits
2. a person devoted to a particular hobby or pastime; fan: a jazz fanatic.

Or, Oxford Dictionary

1.1 informal A person with an obsessive interest in and enthusiasm for a particular activity:
(a fitness fanatic)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 17 Nov 06:05

Mooney_Driver wrote:

It is exactly such flights which we others could learn from.

Ironically I made all the mistakes I planned to avoid prior to that. I went into serious trouble due to weather, got iced up, made the wrong decisions by not doing a 180 turn, not descending into warmer air (I know, that this is not always right and I was tempted by the power of the Turbo at altitude) and not telling ATC about my situation. ATC Langen was VERY helpful, because they cleared me “as requested” to enable me to “stay” on top . I’ve learned my lesson……

There is nothing I can recommend to others, which they don’t already (should) know other than “it does NOT happen only to others”. Personally I became encouraged to do at least the EIR, not to expand my limits but to get myself out of trouble.

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

There is nothing I can recommend to others, which they don’t already (should) know other than “it does NOT happen only to others”.

Of course you can! All of the above, if you tell us the stories, is helpful for people with less experience. And then, also: While it might see to you or others that all the pilots are “experienced”. … I think that except very few most of us really will never fly enough to be “very experienced”. Others might like to see themselves like that, but I don’t. After 1500 hours in many airplanes and although I’ve flown x times through Europe and parts of the USA, … I still have the feeling that I face new situations and challenges all the time! The first time I flew through ice (without an instructor): 1 year ago. The first time I flew above FL130: 1 year ago. The first time I flew with O2: also one year ago … The first long flight in IMC and a real approach in bad weather and with the family on board: this year (after having the IR for 13 years). My first LPV approach: 2 weeks ago… and even when I fly VFR, every flight is different, there’s always something new.

Most of us here will always stay amateurs, and I personally don’t see a reason to make a distinction between IFR and VFR pilots, or between UL pilots or t he ones who fly certified airplanes. The real adventure of flight has little to do with money or the flight rules.

Europaxs I agree with Flyer. Everyone has experiences that when they contribute others will learn from and become better aviators.

Many times when hangar flying with others and they tell stories which at times causes one to winze at a really dumb move. But then with enough experience we all can say yep Ive made some really stupid moves myself. But for the grace of God Im still here. Then we all laugh make a joke or two and learn. The learning can be subtle even subconscious that you take away from a story.

So dont think you or anyone else on this site has nothing to contribute that we can all learn from. If nothing else be entertained. By that I dont mean amused.

KHTO, LHTL
99 Posts
Sign in to add your message