Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ditching accidents, life rafts, jackets and equipment, training and related discussion

I use this one from Switlik: Link

Very comfortable, and I use a couple of molle pouches on it. (One for my handheld ICOM, in a waterproof cover on a lanyard)

A bit more pricy, 400$

Last Edited by L-18C_Anders at 09 May 16:14
Hokksund/ENHS

How did you buy it, in Europe?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I actually contacted Switlik in the US, and they put me in touch with a company in Holland. Purchased it from them, and I even got VERY personal delivery service. The guy I emailed was going on holiday in Norway, and brought it with him to avoid expensive DG shipping charges!

I think the company was Avio Diepen, but cannot locate my email correspondence on the subject.

Hokksund/ENHS

None of the ones shown above have a crotch strap. I remember being told on one of those ditching courses, that a crotch strap on a life jacket is very important. Without it the jacket tends to float and you tend to slip down into it, which means your head isn’t as out of the water as you want it to be.

Having said that, the ones we have don’t have one either.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The one I linked to does have it as every proper sailor life jacket does.

Agree with Achim. Bought it a little more than a year ago and they are low price and good. Not that I have really “used” it so far…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 May 19:29
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

We use sailing lifejackets with a crotch strap, similar to Achima’s. I almost always wear one when flying, as a water landing is possible. It surprises me that so few people wear one, at airfields like Oban, Dornoch, Wick and Inverness, where you are over water on approach/departure.
The hypothermia issue varies from person to person. My susceptability may have increased with age, but I’ve had 2 non-flying winter immersions, with normal winter clothing, at age 24 and in my mid fifties, and am optimistic. The survival times quoted are often for a naked person. No lifejacket and you’re likely to drown.
PS. I’ve caught the lifejacket tab, in the cockpit, on the ground. With a lap and diagonal strap harness the inflation was just a big surprise.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Agree with Achim. Bought it a little more than a year ago and they are low price and good.

I bought those vests two years ago and was happy … after that I read some German regulation that you need lights on the vests.
But I think it’s only mandatory for AOCs (commercial) – or do you know something else? to be on the safe side I bought two strobe lights which I carry with the vests in case of a ramp check.

EDxx, Germany

German regulations require the lights, that is correct. You can buy them as an add-on, my other preferred marine supplier is http://www.marinesuperstore.com in the UK. They are also the cheapest supplier of PLBs.

Expensive lifejacket lights: http://www.marinesuperstore.com/item/99338237/spinlock-pylon-light

More sensible lifejacket light: http://www.marinesuperstore.com/item/99293543/crewsaver-lifejacket-light

Last Edited by achimha at 09 May 20:20

you need lights on the vests

Do you have life vests to comply with a regulation or to possibly save your life on day?

Honestly speaking, the most important purpose of jackets IMHO is for the peace of mind (and they do a good job). In many cases when crossing waters, the water is simply too cold for survival. Jacket or not.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 May 21:42
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message