Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Having an avgas tank at a farm strip

The problem with fuel at farm strips is the question of whether it will still be there when you return the next day

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

The problem with fuel at farm strips is the question of whether it will still be there when you return the next day

This is why I love the Isle of Man. This question doesn’t arise, the fuel still will be there the next day.

Andreas IOM

…the fuel still will be there the next day.

Are you really sure? http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/double-digit-increase-in-crime-in-isle-of-man-1-6651627

EDDS - Stuttgart

Islands tend to have less crime, because getting off them isn’t so easy

However GA – at least in the UK – remains relatively (not entirely!) undiscovered by vandals, and I wonder how long this will continue.

Overflight agents who arrange for avgas drums to be pre-positioned (for e.g. flights UK to South Africa) do say they can be stolen before you use them… but then we are talking about Africa! The entry level for security is going to be an AK47, I guess.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And a 200 litre drum needs a forklift

They are round!!! Just roll them.

Are you really sure? http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/double-digit-increase-in-crime-in-isle-of-man-1-6651627

That’s really related to an incident that happened in Jan/Feb, and was house burglars in towns who are not noted to going to airfields looking for drums of avgas (or even knowing that they have any value at all)

Andreas IOM

We use a Chieftain bowser with fuel delivered by CYMA. They, and Warter, will also supply or fill 200 litre drums. Driver needs an ADR ticket on a public road unless in a tractor. The Chieftain bowser has a mickey-mouse lock, so we modified it, but there are not many AVGAS thieves in this part of the UK.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message