Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots move from flying to sailing...

The question was more about where you can reach the marina easily and, e.g., don’t have to pay an extraordinary fee for parking and so on.

The issue with greek sailing rental bases is that they are mostly colocated close to “large” airports – because that’s how most people fly in. Large airport, large fee. E.g. you could go to Samos and sail the Dodecanese but parking will not be cheap.

T28
Switzerland

UdoR wrote:

Have been sailing in Croatia several times, each time a week.

The question was more about where you can reach the marina easily and, e.g., don’t have to pay an extraordinary fee for parking and so on.

It’s a bit different in Greece, which in terms of infrastructure funding for boats is much like the US treats GA.

In most small places in Greece you just tie up on the town quay, which is a piece of infrastructure provided for public use and there is no fee. An alternative is that you tie up on a pontoon installed by some restaurant, again there is no fee but an expectation that you will eat at the restaurant that evening. If there is no space left by the time you get in, you drop your anchor in the bay and take your dinghy ashore (if you go).

You can go and tie up in some big commercial marina paying 50-100EUR or more per night for various facilities, but it isn’t really necessary and there aren’t many of them in the Ionian which is where I like to go. There are some who are determined to plug into shore power and get a long shower at the marina every day, but really one wonders why they’re sailing at all and whether they wouldn’t be happier in a hotel?

Croatia (I understand, I have never been) is much more like the Balearics – monetised in a much more organised fashion. You are not mooring anywhere without paying a proper fee, and in many bays anchoring is banned because no-one makes money if you use your anchor.

I hope that the sleepy parts of Greece will hold out, but one wonders whether the equivalent of Fraport will ever come calling.

EDIT: I can see I probably misunderstood you. You were talking about aeroplane parking fees, not the boat!

Last Edited by Graham at 01 Jun 09:07
EGLM & EGTN

Sebastian_G wrote:

Zadar

Zadar communicates so well with Frankfurt, you get there by Rainair for, don’t know, 30 Euros per seat? Have been there and was sailing out of Biograd na Moru, which was great. But this is so easy with the big jet that my family will prefer to go in there. And from Zadar you still have to organize a car and so on. Have also started from Split.

Was looking more into some smaller destination – but it may be right, that any place to rent a boat will be in vicinity of an airport…

Germany

Graham wrote:

monetised in a much more organised fashion. You are not mooring anywhere without paying a proper fee, and in many bays anchoring is banned because no-one makes money if you use your anchor.

It is monetised, yes. And it’s a bit annoying I have to admit. Made a great trip through the Cornati Islands, though, but without anchoring there over night. We went to the Marina Piskera, which was more or less deserted when we were there and it was great. Having an ice cream and a coffee out there made a difference. There are large fields of buoys in some bays, which also cost too much. But in the end, you know all this before you go there.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

Have also started from Split.

Split unfortunately does not have enough aircraft parking. We have been there with the plane but just for a short stay.

UdoR wrote:

but it may be right, that any place to rent a boat will be in vicinity of an airport…

Losinj is really the exception with no airline traffic and still some professional yacht charter. But then again the local company Jadranka yachting has a limited choice of boats. Our crew wants a catamaran and Jadranka only does monohulls…

At the smaller places like Brac, Elba in Italy etc. you can often rent a power boat for the day but not a yacht for the week.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I rented powered boat or sails in LaBaule LFRE for a day on ad-hoc basis in benign conditions but it does not seem possible not for overnights trips, yachts are probably a different league and “very illiquid”, maybe worth finding a local club that is paired to your sailing club? or you know someone personally?

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Jun 11:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There is a marina very close to Cannes.
We’ve ‘Private’ hired from there before.
There are several websites which facilitate owners to rent out their boats.
One is called ‘click&boat’
Fully intend to do the same again.

United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

There are several websites which facilitate owners to rent out their boats.

Very interesting, so far we did not try such offerings. Might work out nery nice but so far we wanted a bigger company which can provide last minute repairs, where insurance etc. is fully sorted out, which does have cleaning staff when the boat returns etc. If you do any damage it is a matter of insurance and not damaging anybodys baby. Also due to crew size we have been looking for bigger boats which are probably much harder to find private without the skipper coming along.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

MedEwok wrote:

Interestingly, a common question I get from non-aviation friends is how many passengers/how large a plane I can theoretically fly as a maximum with my licence.

Afaik, the PPL doesn’t restrict this, as long as you get the appropriate endorsements (MEP, SET, MET, HPA, etc.).

I wonder why you chose “8 tons” as the practical limit for private operations. Why not 5,7 t? Or anything else?

8618kg (19000 lbs), because that is where transport category starts. ATPL theory is a requirement for issuance of a multi-pilot type rating (FCL.720.A).

Last Edited by loco at 01 Jun 15:52
LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

ATPL theory is a requirement for issuance of a multi-pilot type rating (FCL.720.A).

Hm, surprisingly, ATPL theory training & exams, but the ATPL license.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message