Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sucker born every minute - stepping up to an old turbine.

Congratulations! Really happy for you that you got the old girl finally in the air again! Now enjoy her!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Congratulations Adam, please keep the posts coming, also on your conversion training.

I see the beautiful grandson of your Commander, the Gulfstream 150, has been retired – so in due course you might step up to one of these.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Well done Adam, stick with it!

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

He did test for leaks and we fixed all the leaks around the windows, pedals, columns etc. But the main suspect is the wing roots and the floor. Once I get the interior out and redone, I’ll tackle that. He’s waiting on a new ultrasonic instrument that can detect leaks much more accurately.

Did air work today with instructor. Slow flight, simulated single engine flying, landings etc. Went really well – starting to get a feel for it. Seems easier to land than my old Commander. Still trying to get the front wheel down smoothly without going too heavy into beta range and slam her down – it’s a fine balance. Day after tomorrow were doing full shutdowns and single engine approaches.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 08 Nov 01:30

Single engine work today. Non-event. Short field landing, full reverse. Almost flat spotted one tyre as I locked it up, but otherwise fine…

Neat… and so nice to see the proud old bird in the air. Would I be far off in guessing you were single engined over La Habra (Los Angeles basin) or someplace? I guess with a turbine twin one engine is plenty

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Nov 04:53

Not a bad guess, Silvaire. Pretty close – we were over Matthews Lake and Corona.

Yeah, plenty of power. Had to reduce much more than I thought to stop climbing. Also, the shutdown is much quicker than a piston. I was surprised how quick it was. I’d somehow expected it to windmill there for ages before settling down, but not so and went from full speed to stopped in what I would think is about 10 seconds. Air starting it back up took a little longer, though.

Ordinarily I prefer low wing aircraft but there are exceptions. DH Beaver, Dash 8 and the Commander. Lovely aircraft all.
I have enjoyed the tales of your obvious love affair with the last on that list. Looking forward to the panel upgrade.

Congrats! Hopefully you will fly it over to Sweden in the future so i can see it :)

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Great news, happy to see the bird up in the sky again. Any chance you do some flying at the end of the month?

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message