Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this video real?

The video has great glider footage in the second half. I wonder if the glider itself is CGI (computer generated) because the camera aircraft seems way too close at times, almost hitting the wingtip.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

good music fake glider..

EBST

My guess is that it is real, because the pilot’s head seems to be doing sensible things naturally.

To make it look that close you would need a long telephoto lens, or crop a hi-res image, and an ‘exciting’ side-effect of that is to make the glider look much closer to the rocks.

Incidentally I could not click to see the video in your post, I had to “View Source” and search for YouTube ( a lucky guess ;-) to find:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/EjM3NzGJ28I

which loaded perfectly.

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

Doesn’t look very real to me.

This is real:

I have flown LN-TAU for a couple of week ends when our old LN-NTH was being fixed.

Edit: I can’t see video links either. I can’t even post a links in that link thing. Something is very odd with links here.

Last Edited by LeSving at 07 Nov 23:12
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

To make it look that close you would need a long telephoto lens, or crop a hi-res image

Agreed, but that would not deliver that very brief moment where the glider’s left wingtip practically touches the camera.

Thanks for the comments about the links. I am sure it is a browser config issue, but what has changed?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You are right!

At that moment the near winglet appears much bigger than the far one, and you would not get that with a telephoto, it would make their sizes appear un-naturally similar.

re the embedded links:
I usually use Google Chrome Version 38.0.2125.111 m, but that has various ad-blockers, etc installed.
I also failed to see it with Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.17358 “out of the box”.
Running Windows 7.
Both leave a big white space where the youtube mini-screen would be, but nothing is visible or clickable.
In Chrome, but not IE, “selecting” the post highlights a rectangle shape where the youtube mini-screen would be.

Last Edited by DavidS at 08 Nov 08:08

@DavidS does the video display on this page now?

If not, presumably it does display on this one ?

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

@Peter: CGI, pretty obviously so

@LeSving – beautiful ! I’ll really have to go flying in Norway one day!

@Peter: I still cannot see it on this page, but I could on your ‘this one’ link.

OK, that was on Chrome.

In IE, I saw a message at the bottom of the page saying:
Only secure content is displayed / What’s the risk(link) / Show all content(link)
It did not stay on the screen for very long.

“Show all content” does exactly what it says

Last Edited by DavidS at 08 Nov 09:34

Sorry, that should have been @David.
Also, I suddenly can see the links in Chrome now, both the Chris Rea and LeSvings’ excellent video.
Did something change?

Last Edited by DavidS at 08 Nov 11:43
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message