Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Electric / hybrid aircraft propulsion (NOT cars)

You could always simulate the management of ‘classic’ engines – add some extra levers and some controls for the instructor; drop the power as you gain in altitude etc… It wouldn’t be that hard to do and I agree: avgas engines will be around for a while yet and I agree with LeSving: anyone who learned on a single lever engine would be at a disadvantage.

I don’t remember this having been brought uo here – maybe it has, maybe it hasn’t. So if it has, here it is again: Siemens testing their E-Fusion in Hungary.

I wonder if the slide-in battery packs behind the engine are the only ones on the plane. Apparently yes.

https://www.siemens.com/innovation/en/home/research-topics/eplane-takes-off.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-40458485/flying-in-an-electric-plane

Watched Redbull Air Race yesterday. The course take about 1 min to fly (WOT of course), and they all use standardized engines and prop for fair competition purposes, Lyco AEIO 540 EXP + Hartzell (I think). If they had done the only reasonable thing and gone electric, they would have more power, with a lighter package, and none of their cooling problems they are having now. It’s a bit weird the whole technological solution. The show itself with all the cameras and online telemetry, the aircraft with aerodynamically (super) optimized carbon fiber wings, it’s all very state of the art. Then they use stock 540 EXP as their engines. The only good thing about that engine, is it’s cheap and easy to maintain. But it’s technology from 1950s running on fuel with led.

That air race would be perfect for an electric setup with an already existing Siemens electric engine.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

AnthonyQ wrote:

As I also mentioned, the noise footprint is significantly lower with the absence of an exhaust pointing down… the primary issue light aircraft objectors (haters) have is noise….presumably the sound of an electric fan overhead would be far more palatable…meaning less pressure to limit or shut down airfield operations and even starting a new airfield (in your backyard) may be more feasible if it is limited to electric operations… could be the dawn of a new golden age of personal flying!

I wonder why nobody responded to this, which imho is the single most important benefit of electric planes: noise pollution will be reduced significantly, taking all the wind out of any NIMBYs opposing private aviation. In Germany especially noise is easily the most important factor for airport planning and one of the main reasons for limited operating hours and also for keeping the ancient Flugleiterpflicht so that someone is there to ensure that pilots don’t make too much noise.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 03 Jul 08:16
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Here’s a nice one. I heard they intend to certify in 2018, which may be a tad optimistic. There is a button on the site to get in touch with them so it any of you wish to invest. Make sure you can afford to lose that money though.

Ah well, where would we be without optimists

http://www.eviation.co/

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

To end the internal combustion engine era, all we need is

• batteries with 10x greater capacity
  • 10x beefed up distribution grid
  • 10x more electricity generation
  • nuclear fusion

And then fuel taxes will be moved to travel distance etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What is with the fixation on nuclear fusion?

Peter wrote:

To end the internal combustion engine era, all we need is

Wrong. “All” we need is optimistic visionaries like Elon Musk, with the guts to show the entire car, space and energy industry the finger. History is full of them. Henry Ford and Ferdinand Porsche just to mention two.

MedEwok wrote:

noise pollution will be reduced significantly

Not necessarily. Most noise comes from the propeller. The speed of the propeller must go down, and a good muffler will do the rest. For a SEP sized aircraft, it means the engine must be geared, and use more propeller blades to get the tip velocity even further down. Electric will be even better of course, but the largest reduction in noise will be inside the aircraft.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What is with the fixation on nuclear fusion?

No idea. The trend rather goes towards decentralised generation, with wind, solar, biomass etc. Fusion will only be needed for really large scale projects, if at all. The most efficient way to cover our needs is actually saving energy.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

LeSving wrote:

Not necessarily. Most noise comes from the propeller. The speed of the propeller must go down,

Which is just what electric propulsion will do. Our engines and props are a heavy compromise: to avoid the need for a gearbox, then we have to have a huge engine that turns slower than most piston engines, and a prop that turns relatively quickly to allow the engine to be not too heavily compromised, to give acceptable, but not ideal results.

The designer of an electric motor has a lot more latitude over the final RPM of the motor without having to make enormous compromises, so you can more easily design a prop that turns slower and is quieter without having to add the weight and failure points of a gearbox.

Last Edited by alioth at 03 Jul 11:05
Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message