Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Gotta love flying in these -2C temps

50 Grand !!!!!! are you serious, Who the fiddlesticks came up with those rules, don't you have a pilot lobby like AOPA over there. That is a major safety issue

As I mentioned, you can land anywhere for technical reasons ("Sicherheitslandung") which is not the same as an emergency landing during which (according to the definition in the law) you don't have control as to when and where you perform it. If I perform a safety landing on a meadow next to a lake, sort out my "technical problem", take a bath and then takeoff again, I will have a hard time explaining this, especially when it's not my first time.

The 50 000 € fine is the standard amount for everything aviation related. It's up to the administration to choose something between € 0-50000 depending on how they view your infringement. Typical fines for first time small offenders are 500-1000 €.

Its a world gone mad, off field landings are half the fun of flying and good training

Yes but one can always travel to places where this freedom exists. You can't compare Germany to Canada, the former being densely populated, the latter mostly unpopulated. Nobody here is used to being able to do off airport landings so people tend to not miss it.

Also keep in mind that Germany has almost twice the number of airfields (with ICAO code) compared to the UK but only 1/3rd more in population (on an area that is 46% larger) . So the need for off airport landings is somewhat smaller

So let me get this straight.

They (the government bureaucrats) want you to work your ass off to contribute to the financial well being of the nation (and their pension plan) and tax the f**k out off you along the way, then if you manage to do well enough to actually spend YOUR money on something YOU want to do like buying a plane they will have their hand out for sales/import taxes and raid your home to make sure you have paid it (as per another thread on here) Then you get some lessons which creates employment but again service or valued added taxes will apply no doubt. Then when you finally get to go fly your hard earned plane they charge you like a wounded buffalo for aviation gas taxes and a “noise tax” whatever the foxtrot that is. And after you have managed to pony up for all this, they tell you that unless you land where they tell you, they are gonna fine you 50 grand !!!

The revolution is nigh my friend.

Farm strip in Angus Scotland

I get your drift, as they say, but there is not much chance of a revolution happening when it's -2C

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So the need for off airport landings is somewhat smaller>

Its not a "need" its a desire

The revolution is nigh my friend.

You forgot one thing: about 80% of the population think that private pilots are rich bastards and the money they made stems from not paying their employees enough and evading taxes. In addition to that, they are noisy and dangerous because they can crash into one's house. I think your revolution may lack momentum...

Wasn't the US of A created by Europeans that thought there was not enough personal freedom in Europe?

The off airport landing is really not a big topic around here. Freedom you don't know you can't miss.

As I mentioned, you can land anywhere for technical reasons ("Sicherheitslandung")>

Please, please tell me the translation of this word is "Up shit creek without a paddle"

You can land anywhere in UK with the land owners permission and subject to controlled airspace. And many of us do!

Back on thread - minus two? Pah! I flew the Chippy in minus 7 one bright sunny winter morning a few years ago. We had to hold the tail up to get the engine started as the priming fuel in the manifold was hardly evaporating and only the rear cylinder was getting a whiff with the tail down!

Barton is my spiritual home.

Pah! I'll see your -7 and raise you -40.

I think achimha is underlining why we don't want a German-laden EASA in our lives.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Czech Republic and Israel: same as UK, allowed with permission of the land owner.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message