Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA activity and its decline

Mooney_Driver wrote:

a yearly budget of 12k before flying, that being 6k insurance, 10 k annual/maintenance and hangarage

Oh there’s another one 🥳

PS
Finally found someone as bad at maths as myself 😂

Last Edited by Dan at 05 Apr 12:43
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

If you want people who don’t otherwise enjoy flying then a PC12 minimum is probably a requirement…

Meanwhile, away from the cynical world of aviation forums, there exists a world of friendly people who love flying and so I’ve never had a problem filling a passenger seat… YMMV. Personally I don’t see a benefit to taking passengers who don’t enjoy the experience, or who don’t want to come flying. If someone doesn’t actually enjoy it, you’re just projecting your hobby onto someone, and you don’t have to be a social butterfly to spot the problem with that. There are so many people around who would love to go flying given the opportunity that I just don’t see the point in trying to persuade people who don’t want to.

United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

Finally found someone as bad at maths as myself

yup… and bad typist to add

thanks! corrected

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

IO390 wrote:

There are so many people around who would love to go flying given the opportunity that I just don’t see the point in trying to persuade people who don’t want to.

You are right, but it doesn’t fit the dream of taking family and friends along for the ride

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yes lots of people love to go up for a little local flight, but unless you are single you are quite limited in who you can fly with. This is a frequent conversation topic among pilots, mostly off-forum. Over the ~23 years I have gone up with a huge number – maybe 100 – but as I say the options are limited.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

You are right, but it doesn’t fit the dream of taking family and friends along for the ride

Sure, I get that, though personally most of my close friend group are people who I’ve met through flying. Going on long trips requires a lot of flexibility and time, so it’s no great surprise that not many people want to do that. You do really need to enjoy the light aircraft flying aspect to want to deal with the faff of a multi hour trip somewhere.

Peter wrote:

Yes lots of people love to go up for a little local flight, but unless you are single you are quite limited in who you can fly with. This is a frequent conversation topic among pilots

I think you’re projecting personal experience as a general fact that must therefore apply to everyone…

United Kingdom

Hmmm, try it one day. Your GF will get properly p1ssed off.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Hmmm, try it one day. Your GF will get properly p1ssed off.

Indeed I have. Several times.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@ivark if I could fly an R66 for €500 an hour I would jump at it.
The last 3 twins I rented Seneca V, Partenavia68TC and Cessna C303 all cost me €700 an hour wet.
The price increase came about pretty suddenly.Within about 2 years they went from just over 400p/h. Digging down it seemed the cause t was price of new engines (all the people I rented from would keep downtime to a minimum by ordering new engines in advance), and then there was the price of databases which for a good modern IR kit came out at about €5000 pa. and increased as the equipment were upgraded. Then there were fuel costs Avgas 100LL.
Now I’ve gone to the opposite extreme. From the sublime to the ridiculous. Rotax 912ULS around €25000 new: fuel mogas UL95 and Skydemon, SDVFR and SafeSky.
I sometimes also use Airmate. Cost of updates = just over €100.pa.
I do miss the twin engine throb sound but I now have STOL and more the feeling of freedom you get when riding a motorcycle. Plus I can pull the UL out of the hangar and push it back without a motorized tug🙂

France

I think things get a bit confused in this thread – money, girlfriends, wives all mixed up …

Germany
Sign in to add your message