Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Biggest things which stop people giving up flying?

Peter wrote:

Historically I disagree

Maybe you simply didn’t understand the controller

LSZK, Switzerland

Absolutely not the case

No VFR in Class C over the Alps.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Never happened to me. Whenever I needed a clearance I got it.

FL160-180 is however not where most VFR pilots will plan. The normal VFR population will fly the VFR routes and follow the GAFOR forecasts as to whether they can fly or not. That means between 8 and 10k ft, sometimes up to 12k. My stats are based on the availability of those crossing routes. The route between Zürich and Lugano (Route 70) has an average availability of about 35% over 10 years. That means pretty much 2/3rds of the time it is not available for VFR.

I’ve crossed the Alps on top a few times, mostly at FL150 or so and over Austria. While this is ok, it is not the best of feeling in a single engine.

More often, we could not cross as the upper limits were above our service ceiling. This one was at FL170.

And below it was this:

In order to cross the Alps with a decent dispatch rate, you need FL200-250 capable airplane and a VMC descent / climb.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 14 Mar 09:37
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

I’ve done that several times. Who did you ask? Normally one should ask Geneva Delta for western Switzerland and Zürich Delta for eastern Switzerland. These are real radar rated ATCOs that can directly offer clearances, while Info can only relay clearances (obtained from Delta) (but their workplace is next to each other)

LSZK, Switzerland

FIS usually delegates people who ask for clearances to Delta.

What can happen is that if there are military areas active, they will (with good reason) deny a clearance, but usually offer a route around it.

@Peter, just face it: you don’t know how to operate a VHF

LFPT, LFPN

Shorrick make some very good points, Eastern Europe manufactors are building some great aircraft.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

What can happen is that if there are military areas active, they will (with good reason) deny a clearance, but usually offer a route around it.

Then you just avoid the “9-5” hours, no?

Noe,

that one made big waves here and now the air force is upping their hours to be able to deal with something like this. Even though there has been cooperation agreements in such a case with the surrounding air forces for a long time.

Military areas can be active anytime but mostly are active during office hours if it is for training reasons. We also have some experimental areas for test flights for Pilatus Aircraft.

One can very easily check what is active via the DABS.

https://www.skybriefing.com/portal/de/home

A combination of cost and hassle.

A typical ppl trip in Graz looks like this:

1. Arrive at airport, park car (discounted parking available with pilot‘s license is 3€ per day.

1.a Fly with friends/family either drive all over the city to share a ride or they pay the normal parking rate which is about as much as an easyjet ticket. Cost!

2. Go through security (dedicated General Aviation exit which is nice but why not make a seperate exit limited to the GA apron without security..?) Hassle!

3. Walk to airplane…it’s a long walk and uses up too much time. Hassle!

4. Fly a DA40 (240€ per hour wet) or a Cirrus SR22 for 420€ per hour wet). Graz – Venice Lido and back in the Cirrus is roughly 1000€. For that money you can drive to Venice and pay for a Hotel for a few days… Cost!
Sure you could fly in a 40 year old two seater and pay between 120 and 180€ per hour wet but accounting for slower cruise speed the whole thing turns into an ordeal compared to a flight. And you could only share the cost halfway instead of 4.

5. Access and fees. No pilot controlled lighting. Noise curfews etc… compare to most US airports where you drive to your plane‘s hangar – depart whenever you want and come back whenever you want. For free.
Approaching and touching down at my home field is roughly 50€! Hassle/Cost.

I know some people who own a 172 or similar, pay 700€ per month for the hangar etc… and once anyear they go on a flying trip to greece for 3 weeks. They can and want to afford it but they go through the hassle only once a year. For the money involved they could charter a jet ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message