Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Estimates for FAA IR holders in Europe?

“Even if I had, they would not be very useful for you people outside Germany, since these are exactly the details that vary from country to country (read: authority to authority).”

One of the claims of EASA is that standards will be uniform throughout Europe.
Many of us sense that this is not so: hence curiosity for information.
Here in the UK we are suspicious that the CAA is ‘gold plating’ the EASA requirements.
Any factual details as to what other EU countries are/are not demanding would be useful information.

Last Edited by Peter_G at 29 Apr 20:10
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Actually, in hindsight, things couldn’t have turned out much better for ICAO IR holders.

On the basis that if somebody is threatened with a leg amputation, having just their willy amputated is an improvement

We now have these additional items

• EASA medical – how much? Probably €100/year for me. And don’t forget the audiogram (see previous posts).
  • EASA IR annual revalidation – €200/year for me
  • EASA PPL bi-annual revalidation (can be done with the above, together)
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On the basis that if somebody is threatened with a leg amputation, having just their willy amputated is an improvement

Personally….those prosthetic legs aren’t that bad!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Pardon if the question sounds idiotic, I am still trying to get my head around this – once we get this famous EASA IR, is it good for flying a N-reg all around EASA, or only “in the airspace of the authority that issued the certificate”? In which case it’d be rather useless…

You still need your FAA licence to do that. EASA is just making you have an EASA one as well. You have to remember the “airspace of the authority who issued the certificate” thing is an FAA Rule.

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 May 14:08
EGTK Oxford
Yes obviously. But! Will a 61.75 suffice or will one need two “complete” certifications?
Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 03 May 14:52

Well I answered the question you asked – if it was obvious why ask it? A 61.75 is a “complete certification” if by that you mean a true FAA certificate. If you mean do you need a standalone FAA licence, why would the situation there have changed? FAA rules haven’t altered.

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 May 15:02
EGTK Oxford

Ah, um, yes, i meant standalone FAA. My grey matter seems to have taken a day off today…

Nothing changes the fact that under ICAO you need pilot papers issued by the state of registry of the aircraft, to get worldwide privileges (for noncommercial VFR and, if applicable IFR).

What EASA has done is exercised the airspace owner’s right to impose additional requirements. They could have just as well required you to get a certificate in taxidermy. It would have been precisely as valid. ICAO allows each contracting state to retain absolute sovereignity within its borders – obviously, otherwise nobody would have signed up – and this is how EASA was able to impose this on EU countries.

FAR 61.3 allows an N-reg to be flown on pilot papers issued by the owner of the airspace, but that is practically almost useless because you would need UK issued papers to fly in the UK, German issued papers to fly in Germany, etc. That concession is OK only for people who never leave their own country.

Some random reading here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message