Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hangar rash

This is the English term for your plane getting damaged in the hangar, usually without anybody admitting to it.

In a commercially operated hangar, where a “crew” moves the planes around, the company should be liable.

But what do people do in a hangar where everybody is free to move stuff around?

Depending on the details, I might possibly not want to be in a hangar like that unless there was H24 video surveillance and recording. Years ago I was looking at such a project and such systems (which would periodically email images and motion-triggered videos to a server, over ADSL) were quite cheap.

This is a real issue – I’ve had €10k of damage myself, but the company paid for it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is a real issue – I’ve had €10k of damage myself, but the company paid for it.

Our company recently has had damage with similar cost involved when an aircraft was parked outside overnight at a small airfield. Plus two days ground time plus our mechanics driving to that airfield and installing a replacement part. Of course, nobody could be held responsible and the only webcam installed at that airfield was pointing in a different direction. It could not even be determined whether the damage was caused by another aircraft or a car (they can move freely at this airfield, but only after passing a gate which can be opened by all local pilots and staff).

In our hangar we had several cases of hangar rash already but that was never a problem because only trained staff is allowed to move the airplanes inside the hangar and it is all covered by the insurance. The most expensive one during my time at this company were two CitationJet tails being banged together. The horizontal tailplanes had to be removed and sent to Cessna for inspection and repair which took around four weeks. To keep the airplanes flying, “loaner” units were installed during that month. At a rental rate of $2,500 per unit per day…

EDDS - Stuttgart

This is an eternal concern to me, and in both senses: my plane getting rashed, and me rashing another plane. Can only hope insurance would work, but insurance companies are getting VERY good at finding reasons to “opt out”, these days. It is another reason to prefer a plane that is inexpensive to acquire and easy to repair – both technically and administrationwise.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message