Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wingtip cover ?

Hello

A while ago, I saw in a narrow hangar, an aircraft equipped with wingtip covers. It must have been padded leather, meant to avoid damage while moving it.
Have ever seen this ?

Regards

Covers to avoid hangar rash? That is weird. Could that not make people less careful moving the aircraft about?

Last Edited by JasonC at 29 Apr 20:44
EGTK Oxford

The hangar was narrow, aircrafts (3) being parked one in front of the other (in line)
As it was narrow and long, I guess those covers may have prevented erratic steering, and subsequent damage to the tip.
I saw that once, and wondered if anyone has this in mind.
I think Adam is actually concerned somehow by this matter in his new hangar.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 29 Apr 20:55

IME unless you are using something massively padded, people will dent the plane anyway, and no padding will protect weak items like ailerons or flaps from getting banged. Padding helps mostly with people walking into the plane and bending things like trim tabs, the stall warner (always a favourite for getting bent), etc.

The real issue is that most people will not report damage they have caused. Many years ago I was buying a hangar (didn’t work out, due to a crooked estate agent) and the plan was to install some video gear. For 3 years I was in a hangar where lots of owners had free access and I would not want to again be in that sort of hangar again (without video surveillance).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have seen them, Aeralp in LFHS used to have them when I did my IR, I believe they are mostly made to order. Did a bit of googling and found this http://www.cover-systems.co.uk/aircraft-covers/optionalextrasaircraft.htm

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

My Mooney came with tip covers. Padded foam with fabric cover. Mostly useful as aileron control locks.

EIMH, Ireland

Wow, i have never seen that before.

EGTK Oxford
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message