Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glasses / spectacles and medicals (merged)

Like many of you I am sure I have, over the years, broken in various ways a number of sun glasses. I have just broken another pair (Ray-Ban) and whilst searching for a screw to fix them I found my old stach of broken ones. Does any know where one can get spares for these please? I have tried the manufacturer but they never respond. Does anyone have any frames/lenses they might care to donate in the hope I can get at least a good pair or two out of them which I can donate to students? It seems such a waste to throw away because of something that may possibly be easily fixed.
Comment as you wish!!

Many thanks

UK, United Kingdom

I am not sure I have spares to donate, as I use cheap Chinese imitations of Ray-Ban exactly because I break my sunglasses very often, and I doubt they are hardware-compatible. However, if you keep losing screws, there is definitely a reliable solution for that – unscrew them, dunk them in Loctite, put them back in.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thanks Ultranomad, I wonder if the lenses are optically perfect as I believe are the Ray-Ban products. I chose a known quality product when I started flying all those decades ago and have been very happy with them so really would not want to move to anything else.

UK, United Kingdom

Go to the usual place one goes to for counterfeit old crap (ebay.co.uk ) and search for

ray-ban screws

You get hits like this

As regards optical quality, IMHO and having spent a fair bit of time digging into this (search here on “sunglasses”) because I wear different glasses for different jobs, you get what you pay for (BUT both the High Street optical business and the big name sunglasses are ripoffs), and Ray-Bans are IMHO one of the least suitable for flying because, like Oakleys, they have very thick side frames so they create a hole under the headset seal. The easy way to avoid the hole is to use glasses with a thin frame; usually they are titanium, but those frames can have problems of their own, as well as a high price.

If you need prescription lenses, nowadays the bottom has fallen out of the optician business and you can buy sunglasses with a frame you fancy, anywhere you can find them, and with mail order firms such as this you can get prescription lenses put in them for 20-50 quid. Just send the glasses to them with your PD (pupil distance) and other details. Or you can pay much more for doing the same with a Lindberg frame (190 quid for Essilor lenses, because the frame was too weird for them to cut the 50 quid lenses properly). I don’t think any of these lenses are worse than what you get as standard in 150-200 quid sunglasses, and the big-name firms charge 150-200 quid for prescription lenses, on top of the 150-200 quid original cost. I am sure the 20 quid lenses from the above online shop are 100% as good as the lenses in the most expensive sunglasses.

One issue is with wrap-around sunglasses. Many opticians won’t touch them because it’s hard to avoid distortion at the corners.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks to you all, good advice and I really must look at ebay a bit more!

UK, United Kingdom

These are the best sunglasses I have ever had for flying.

Link

EGTK Oxford

I only wear Lindberg Titanium frames with plastic lenses … the next best thing to contact lenses

I wear AO sunglasses. better made and less costly than Ray Ban. Converting to Euros its a bargin.

http://www.aoeyewear.com/Flight_Gear/original_pilot_frames.htm

KHTO, LHTL

Those AO ones look very similar to Randolph. Flightstore is flogging off Randolphs at nice discount now; maybe they are dropping the range?

I do like Lindberg and have had one done with prescription lenses, but their prices are eye-watering, for the nice thin frames. You can easily pay €400…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Another vote for the Pitt’s pilot sunglasses.

EGEO
Sign in to add your message