Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Would you do this ferry flight?

I just watched a video of a crazy (imho) ferry flight over the Atlantic Ocean in winter in a C182. I wonder what is your opinion?
In my opinion they are lucky to be alive and taking off in these conditions in a non FIKI airplane is just crazy. From my understanding the PIC is a very experienced pilot and this is his bread and butter but I worry the ego may have took over on this one.

LELL, Spain

For lack of a non-video summary of what this flight was, I will just comment on “FIKI”.

<shrug> “FIKI” means it has demonstrated the capacity to fly 17 nmi in icing conditions. I don’t find that very much reassuring.

ELLX

Well they knew very well the actual conditions when they took off it happened not long after departure. You can try this over the ocean, over land this can get you killed the only probability is to hit an Iceberg in that area. I think not too many experienced pilots would have launched in these conditions with a non/deiced aircraft….I think the guy is very experienced and was taking a gamble. He opened the vent and knew which type of ice he was encountering…You can only whish that the OAT is correctly indicating. The safety margin of still producing enough power to keep flying low level with ice build up and getting rid of the ice at 700 FT MSL is very thin, at 2000FT it was still not working, the safety margins were to say the least very marginal…

EBST

Wow! Talk about “better down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here”. Though I suppose if “down here” is Kulusak, the incentive to be somewhere else is quite strong.

LFMD, France

This kind of stuff gives GA a bad name.

I would do it if my base was about to be nuked, etc, but not otherwise. Mostly out of radio contact, etc. I once flew down the middle of the Adriatic, Trieste to Corfu, at 1000ft (due to being VFR-only, and low cloudbase due to a warm front) but that was not out of radio contact.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

johnh wrote:

he incentive to be somewhere else is quite strong

I don’t know the circumstances on how much pressure there was to leave that airport for worse weather to come in? But for sure his de-ice method rubbing over the wing doesn’t predict much good on what to expect after departure. I think the pressure to leave that place must have overruled any sensible risk assessment.

EBST
This kind of stuff gives GA a bad name.

I wouldn’t call this kind of activity GA, it’s rather aviation industry outbound logistics. Someone needs to do the job.
@Bartek, the PIC is certainly not crazy

Poland

the PIC is certainly not crazy

Possibly correct but his actions certainly were crazy.

EGCJ Sherburn, United Kingdom

Would he have radio contact with airliner traffic high above him?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Would he have radio contact with airliner traffic high above him?

in the video, an overflying Turkish airlines flight was used as relay with ATC during the Greenland/Iceland leg

Antonio
LESB, Spain
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message