Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Assistance needed - Revamping an airfield on the Coast of Spain

Can you agree that 99% of airports do not even provide such a section at all. I find it informative:

“FOR PILOTS” is a top level menu ✅
RATES provide easy table and example.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Can you agree that 99% of airports do not even provide such a section at all.

Yes I can agree to that I just think it’s too complicated to be the model that one should strive for.

Even look at the example you gave. It’s highly confusing. It says “[….]for a plane with a maximum take off weight of 8700 kg €135 instead of €120 must be paid.” but then goes on to show a calculation of €120 being owed. Which is it ? €135 or €120?

Personally I think the ideal is more along the line of:

Landing fee Single Engine €x (Maybe 2 or 3 weight categories if the must)
Landing fee Twin Engine €

Outdoor parking 24 hours (first 4 hours free) €
Hangarage on request.

There doesn’t need to be lots of other charges. People come with passengers. We shouldn’t be charging for the number of passengers unless we’re commercial aircraft dumping hundreds of passengers. We don’t need charges for security or tie downs separate from parking.

It’s a bit like going to a petrol station with your car and not just being charged for the petrol, but also for the length of time you were stopped for, and for the service of the attendant to take your payment and a facilities fee if you use the bathroom or a convenience fee for having the chocolate and drinks available.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I wasn’t commenting on the prices. Just that at least they are shown transparent.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 09 Mar 14:08
always learning
LO__, Austria

@dublinpilot actually that’s what’s happening with electric cars. I’ve seen charger stations where a parking fee is raised during charging, but the places are in the middle of nowhere. Didn’t charge there. But the valuations were mostly pretty angry tone. No one expected parking fees that were higher than the amount for recharging.

So, no. That’s unfair.

Germany

Sorry but going back to that airport and it fee structure… Have you seen the complexity of the “passenger fees”? That is all that’s wrong with ‘airports’ right there…

Everything has been said by now. I agree with almost all comments.

I would highlight the opportunity to rent a bike. That’s a very good perk! Ideally it would be even better a small car located on the same aerodrome or at least that can be arranged one/two days in advance. Another good point, also already mentioned, is being able to camp besides the aircraft and to have access to showers anytime.

About the landing fees, I believe that it is impossible to make and airfield profitable relying on them. Either you ask for a disproportionate amount or they are peanuts at the end of the year. So why to ‘scare away’ visitors with fees? Probably the airfield could do more money in accessory services (bar, hangarage/parking, fuel, shop…) from a higher number of visitants. Other option, seen in various places in France, put a box and ask for a voluntary donative, so that everyone can support the airfield with the amount that feels fair to them. It will be peanuts again, but at least people is happy paying it and don’t think twice about visiting.

LECU - Madrid, Spain
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message