Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Masters of the air

I could deffo do EGKA-ENVA (and planned that trip to see a good customer there, but he has retired) but not nonstop

I did the Alps nonstop during covid, when a landing would land me in a detention With a ferry tank, nonstop across the Atlantic (say 3000nm) is easily done, way over MTOW.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So I watched the entire series. The flying scenes are nothing short of amazing. The story on the other hand… They have included one individual item after the other which didn’t contribute to a coherent whole. E.g. the 2/3 of an episode with the Tuskegee airmen and the 5 minutes of subaltern (later captain) Wesgate in France.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 23 Mar 11:15
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

So I watched the entire series

Same here, digested the last episodes a week ago. Yep, the airborne action is good throughout, though looking at some of the damage inflicted whilst on the ground… reflects some Hollywoodism.
Also suffers from a sharp drop of airplane presence thru the last episodes, still, the whole series was a pleasure to watch.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

They have included one individual item after the other which didn’t contribute to a coherent whole

Wasn’t that part of the design? I think it was. It was more of a dive into history, real happenings, than it was fiction. It sort of made sense to me. War is a bunch of disjoint happenings that doesn’t really makes sense to anyone. Luck/unluck is a major factor.

On the other hand, having logged into the Apple TV “universe”. There’s another super cool series there: For All Mankind. It’s about what could have happened if the space race didn’t stop. It’s fantastic, with lots of dark humor interwoven in “everyday seriousness”. The flying scenes are so poor it makes you feel bad though, but apart from that it really is worth watching.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

We just finished watching it too. CGI is good enough to be believable and the flying scenes are impressive. For comparison the 1969 film Battle of Britain used 100 warbirds, but now there are only 6 airworthy B17s left. There were some inaccuracies which didn’t detract from the story, except for perpetuating the myth of precision bombing. A good article on the Norden bombsight, and a Master’s thesis which goes into more detail.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

For All Mankind.

Absolutely and highly recommended. It is just great for understanding of what is physically, technologically and humanly reasonably possible (with very few exceptions) in space travel and transportation. What could have been done but was not in the past 50 years. So much engineering and physics thinking put in to it, none of that crazy sci-fi stuff. Nicely balanced with politics, human-nature and long-term, smart well- and bad-meant thinking and executing. A very believable parallel history of what could have been if the Soviets had beaten the USA to the Moon. And no, it is not about the USA being beaten: it is much more about how leaving pride and rivalries aside, ingenuity and hard work can lead humanity, almost literally, wherever it wants….I just loved it.

Note: Oh, no! I might have spoilt it just a tad…well, most of it is about fights too…for the rest, just watch it yourself and enjoy!

Last Edited by Antonio at 25 Mar 17:21
Antonio
LESB, Spain
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message