Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Masters of the air

It’s not everyday a top quality fictional series is about aviation, but this one is. It’s from WWII and about the crews on B-17s (sorry not GA ) Seen a couple of episodes, and all the flying stuff looks accurate from what I can tell, which is cool. Had to chuckle when they bombed the U-boats at Trondheim. This actually happened, and was the only time Trondheim was bombed. I chuckled because the last series I saw was Das Boot, about the crew (and their lives, and then some) on German U-boats.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I chuckled because the last series I saw was Das Boot, about the crew (and their lives, and then some) on German U-boats.

Unlike the original movie and miniseries (and book) which are great, this sequel is absolute disaster.

Last Edited by Emir at 19 Feb 04:51
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg produced the series.

I quite like it. It gives us a good sense of how challenging the 100th missions were and how challenging the flight conditions were. Far from our flight experience these days :)

Last Edited by Fernando at 19 Feb 08:47
EGSU, United Kingdom

Sigh. Another streaming service you have to subscribe to…. Or you can binge watch the series during the 7 days free trial period that Apple offers. Maybe I’ll try that.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Unlike the original movie and miniseries (and book) which are great, this sequel is absolute disaster.

He he. IMO, after two episodes of Masters of the air, I find Das Boot (the series) to be better

I wasn’t aware that Trondheim was bombed at all, so I looked it up. The series didn’t show it all that accurately. Germans had these humongous fog systems, the entire Trondheim was covered in fog. They still managed to see the the rough contour. The goal was to destroy the sub pen. They hit one submarine and one tug boat outside, but the sub pen itself (with the rest of the U-boats) was intact, hardly damaged at all.

The fogging also prevented fighters to take off a small bug in the design. They were stationed only a km away. After the war they tried to tear it down, but gave up. It’s still there today, but with new building on top of it and around it. It’s used as a storage facility for the university. It has it’s own bus stop, Dora

Sigh. Another streaming service you have to subscribe to….

It’s s bit of a PITA, but nothing a smart-tv won’t easily fix. At most you pay 10-20 € for a 1-2 months subscription.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Airborne_Again wrote:

Sigh. Another streaming service you have to subscribe to…. Or you can binge watch the series during the 7 days free trial period that Apple offers. Maybe I’ll try that.

You’ll have to wait until all episodes have been screened. They’re doing the typical “we’ll show you one episode a week for the next x weeks” malarky…..

EDL*, Germany

Binge watching has me gone thru the first 3 episodes as I write these words… reminiscent and scents of Memphis Belle.
The “story” being basically written by history, the rest is riding along, and this is nicely done. A smidge too much digital on some scenes and details, but overall very good. And so is the acting.

Looking forward to the next 2 episodes tomorrow nite.

PS

Another streaming service you have to subscribe to

Not sure about SWE, but there are other, still not illegal here, ways of downloading the episodes…

Last Edited by Dan at 19 Feb 22:09
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

LeSving wrote:

The series didn’t show it all that accurately. Germans had these humongous fog systems

Saw a video with a history professor about this and the series. It turns out I must have been half asleep when watching that episode The whole reason they found Trondheim was due to the smoke screen, as the series correctly displays when watching it again. The whole trip from SE (or SW?) UK to Trondheim and back took 12 hours. An insane endurance on these B-17s

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The whole trip from SE (or SW?) UK to Trondheim and back took 12 hours. An insane endurance on these B-17s

@Peter would do that easily

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

@Peter would do that easily

In a B-17?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message