Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lightspeed headset repair in UK tax/duty question

I’m currently in NL, but yes I do live in Madagascar normally. Very interesting flying around there. It’s a bit off-route for most pilots here, but do give me a shout if you plan to visit. There is AvGas at 2 or 3 airports (I need to check which ones) and we have Jet-A1 in many places. I’ll offer you coffee for free.

I did email the headset shop and got a reply as to use any shipper. They also provided a tariff code, so I guess that’s a good thing. UPS seems the cheapest one (25 euro’s vs 50 for DHL). I’ll report back when the headset is back in possession what the extra costs were (if any).

Peter wrote:

Also note that your username starts with a zero not “O”

Yes that’s the idea.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

It just means you won’t get notifications from threads

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Got my headset back from the UK shop. I’ve not paid any duty or tax. That’s the positive news.

But the UK repair shop failed to fix my headset. The contrary. When I got it back, I turned it on and nothing worked. It was quite ridiculous as the headset was shipped to me with a piece of paper having an engineer stamp and a letter stating what was fixed and replaced. The headset still worked (although with issues) when shipped to the repair facility!

Roundtrip from NL to the UK shop was 1 month.

After contacting Lightspeed they immediately offered me another repair shop in Germany (apparently new as it wasn’t available a month ago) with no added costs. Lightspeed reimbursed my shipping costs as well.

The shop in Germany was quick and fully fixed the issues. Roundtrip was less than 10 days. I guess I know where to send a future headset next!

Thanks for all the tax/duty information.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

What was the UK shop, @0fficer?

Administrator

Headset Services Ltd. I have to say they were helpful in shipping the headset with a tariff code and their email response was good. But in the end the repair is what matters most.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

@0fficer: since I didn’t send in my „sticky plastic controller“ LS Zulu – would you let me know the name of the shop in Germany you made good experiences with? I‘m wondering if LS would have given a selfadhesive package tag to send it to the UK for cleaning (200 US$) and new ear cushions – @ Airbone Again: I fully agree with UPS having reasonable shipping prices but always is a hassle a few days with customs due to problems in getting the stuff cleared from customs although goods declared in German and English language

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

https://flugtechnik.de

Flugzeugreparatur Damme

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

Did you tell Headset Services the headset was DOA (dead on arrival)?

Administrator

I told Lightspeed as the repair was organised and paid through them. If you think it’s helpful, I can send HSL a message directly.

Last Edited by 0fficer at 20 Dec 07:50
Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

OK; probably not. Really bad though. I would have sent my customer a brand new headset, same day.

They obviously have not yet heard of social media

I found HS (based at EGKA as they were for many years) to be okay but rather arrogant; they were doing a lot of mil stuff and it was easy money.

Administrator
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message