Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My experience joining (and leaving) a group (syndicate)

Parthurnax wrote:

So basically the story is that they flew to a small paved strip which had a road right next to the approach end of the runway they flew into that day.

That happens occasionally. We had a very similar case in Sweden a few years ago.

There is about 35 metres between the road and the numbers.

That’s not even close to enough.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@parthumax well done for sharing your horror story.

Yes, syndicate groups tend to go the way you portray. My only close encounter to a group was when I very reluctantly sold a 49% share in an aircraft I owned. The marriage lasted 2 months. I received one morning in the post a warning letter from the CAA. An order to ‘’cease and desist’’ flying my aeroplane. The partner complained that I was flying it more than him, and not making payments to him to offset the maintenance costs. A lawyer was also involved.

Now I would ask any mild mannered person how do you recover from that? He had made an assertion that life left on a wing spar was 220 hours. He decided that we both had to fly 110 hours. I was way ahead so….

That showed me the way. Moral……steer clear of groups of 3 or more people, especially when it involves aircraft. Only thing that compares are flying clubs

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 05 Oct 17:24
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Well, both of mine are fine and have never shown any signs of going that way.

Neither have any dominant personalities who run them, nor have they ever done. Both have a very simple set of written rules, nothing onerous. I don’t think any of us would comprehend the concept of a particular member ‘running’ the group – there isn’t any ‘running’ to do. The only roles that both groups have is one person to look after the bank account and one person who makes maintenance arrangements.

As I said, a$$holes are usually fairly obvious after the first five minutes. In aviation circles the giveaways include expressing strong / extreme views, compulsive storytelling, and taking themselves very seriously. There are plenty about I’m afraid.

EGLM & EGTN

@Parthumax, first of all, thanks for sharing these intimate feelings and the experience, and well done on your final decision!

I had, many moons ago, also some bad experience in a group, and after this decided to have my own steed. Even if that meant smaller/cheaper … I presently could not afford much more than what I have, but all my requirement boxes are ticked. They is a continuous stream of adds for shares Malibu this, Mooney that, etc, but no thanks, I’m happy with my baby

PS
I had the smaller/cheapest ride of them all at a recent EuroGA fly-in, but I’m sooo privileged, and totally uplifted as is
All the best for the future.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

but all my requirement boxes are ticked

Judging by what you’ve done and continuing to do, that’s incredibly capable aircraft (and a pilot ) besides looking very nice.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Smallness and cheapness are attributes, not issues.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Oct 18:27

Parthurnax wrote:

Hard to say for sure, but either way at that point they were low enough that the wheels touched the roof of the truck.

That does indeed happen occasionally. I recall a similar incident in Spain when I lived there.

Parthurnax wrote:

I was told by a member that other members of the group were not informed of the incident

This, however, is unforgivable. Be glad you’re out.

Peter wrote:

The problem, however, is that in nearly all GA scenarios it is a real hassle to have to fill up before a flight.

Most European GA flights are time-bounded by a) the airport opening time (sunrise, 8am, whatever) and by b) the airport closing time (sunset, 8pm, whatever). Then further bounded by pump hours (e.g. opening plus 1hr, closing minus 1hr). It is a real PITA when somebody lands at closing minus 10 mins because a) the next flyer can’t fly too far and b) the previous flyer is prob99 not going to turn up the following morning to top the tanks off.

Damn, the way you frame it, I should be ever so thrilled to be based where I am, even if I have to scrap a few leisure flights a year because I don’t want to clean up mud from the wheel wells, and another few because of snow/water/whathaveyou.

But I can take off when I want, land when I want (subject to the caveats above), fuel up when I want (ok, unless the pupms are out of gas, which actually happens 2 or 3 times a year, long story) and do any maintenance I want to / am able to.

I too prefer to fuel up after a flight, but am not religious about it, as filling up before one works equally well for me.

Sorry for the thread drift.

ps. my solution is to buy a plane and invite people I choose to form a non-equity partnership; haven’t gotten around to the 2nd part yet, but if anyone asks, that is the [business] plan.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Dan wrote:

I had the smaller/cheapest ride of them all at a recent EuroGA fly-in, but I’m sooo privileged, and totally uplifted as is

I wasn’t there, unfortunately, but I don’t believe a word of what you wrote in that sentence ;)
And even if it was true, what you and your plane do is more than most of us will ever dream of.
Do keep on being our collective role model, and thank you.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I joined a Jodel DR1050 Syndicate at the start of 1990. 6 to 8 members, 3 crashed and replaced aircraft, no submissive personalities, and a good investment. The Jodel had to be sold in 2021 as too many shares were for sale at once due to death and illness.
While the Jodel’s fabric was being replaced, and 3 years before her sale, I joined a Syndicate of 4 to buy a Bolkow Junior. One of the 4 was well known to me, fortunately. It became a 2 V 2 clash, with X trying to take control. X and me had face-to-face arguments show how nice Parthumax and his fellow members are. I bought the opposing 2 out, and got the aircraft sorted out. The 2 logged less than 1 hour in the 9 months.
I’m considering selling shares. One possible buyer decided against it. One tried to get the share price down to a ridiculous level. 2 guys are still to have trial flight but I’m leaving it until I get the panel re-arranged.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 05 Oct 22:28
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message