Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot attitudes to working together

If you get a high enough population density of people competing for the same resources, especially if those resources are artificially limited or irrationally distributed, people start to become aggressive, manipulative, impersonal and uncaring (each to varying degrees depending on the culture). They also loose their ability to think, as a result of the stress. Like rats in a cage.

I believe it’s human nature. The same thing happens in badly or (particularly) over-managed workplaces.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Jul 23:50

Silvaire wrote:

If you get a high enough population density of people competing for the same resources, especially if those resources are artificially limited or irrationally distributed, people start to become aggressive, manipulative, impersonal and uncaring (each to varying degrees depending on the culture). They also loose their ability to think, as a result of the stress. Like rats in a cage.

I believe it’s human nature. The same thing happens in badly or (particularly) over-managed workplaces.

Indeed. When the situation is such that you are at risk of having the aircraft stuck in the hangar the whole day if you are not one of the first to tow it out in the morning, there will be competition. It reminds me of a hotel in Turkey where people got up early in the morning only to put their towels on the best beds close to the pool

Working together here would, IMO, mean everyone in that hangar getting together to create a better situation that prevents people from getting stuck in the hangar.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Where I am, the fire crew are very good, but if somebody does what I mentioned, it still gets your plane stuck for an hour extra, and there isn’t much they can do.

The overall system is much better than what I had for some years where it was a maintenance company, closed at weekends, so it was a DIY job, and frequently some dick would leave a plane locked and with the brakes on Often a twin…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Anyway, this is a detail; my point was how many people involved in GA don’t seem to give a toss about others. Not surprising really to anyone who has been in GA for years, and it explains a lot.

Depends on the setting. Here on the island, the local fields are a centre of camaraderie. Everyone knows each other, helps each other and most are close friends to do joint flying outings with. I’m pretty sure there are many such little communities throughout Europe. Maybe it’s even the majority? Probably this atmosphere is most present in the UL/experimental/lighter cert GA scene.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Probably this atmosphere is most present in the UL/experimental/lighter cert GA scene.

Yes; many annex 1 people have moved off the “standard airfields” and went to farm strips. People work together a lot more there.

The price to pay is generally little or no winter flying, due to waterlogged grass. I’ve looked at this too, but I fly a lot in the winter.

Administrator

‘Winter-waterlogged’ folks should look at getting one these nice new UL-helicopters

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Peter wrote:

The price to pay is generally little or no winter flying, due to waterlogged grass

This is also “waterlogged grass”

Last Edited by LeSving at 22 Jul 08:38
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The problem IMO is not people in GA, it is people full stop. You will see behaviours like that everywhere.
On a different note, in your case if the fire brigade had a motorized tug/tow they could easily bring the planes all the way to the apron, that could probably be a good solution.

LFST, France

if the fire brigade had a motorized tug/tow they could easily bring the planes all the way to the apron

They do, but the owners may not be happy about getting charged the apron parking rate Whereas moving the plane out and not turning up and not saying anything, has a zero cost.

Administrator

the owners may not be happy about getting charged the apron parking rate Whereas moving the plane out and not turning up and not saying anything, has a zero cost.

Moving aircraft (always) to the paid parking area after extraction from the hangar sounds to me like a valid solution in terms of preventing that behavior. If they don’t show up they pay let’s say 24 hrs outside parking.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Jul 20:38
Sign in to add your message