Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much do airlines really pay in landing and parking fees?

With issues such as this this question comes up often – even if not actually stated as such.

One can find out that a TB20 would pay 2k-3k at EGKK (Gatwick) but that just tells us about the Signature Handling cartel. The landing fee is only a small part of that (for many years it was under £100). It tells us nothing about what kind of deal say Easyjet get.

I find it hard to believe that passenger transports pay so much, say €1k, to justify the exclusion of GA paying say €50. Think of how much more stuff you need to have around to service the passenger flights!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I remember few years ago when I wanted to fly to Goteborg ESGG, I got offer over €700. They sent me the price list and the offer was absolutely aligned with it. At the same time same service was offered to CJ4 or Saab 340 for €900 and to Airbus 320 or Boeing 737 for €1500 while A380 or B747 were €4300. I replied that I was flattered by the fact that they valued me only 50% less than A320 and politely declined the offer.

Last Edited by Emir at 12 Apr 10:08
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I replied that I was flattered by the fact that they valued me only 50% less than A320 and politely declined the offer.

Are you that fat in DA42?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Tallinn Airport has its price list online- https://www.tallinn-airport.ee/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/AS-Tallinn-Airport-GH-Pricelist-from-01.04.2022.pdf
As far as I know, they don’t offer significant discounts, so this should be what the airlines actually pay.

EETU, Estonia

It has been known that Ryanair were paid to land by the local “Mayor” (especially in France) although I believe the EU eventually ruled this was an illegal subsidy. That would be quite funny because the incentive to the airport would be zero!

Administrator

Transavia filed the court case against RyanAir and APTEF (govt agency), the latter paid RyanAir to promote Montpelier as touristique destination, at the end RyanAir returned all the money to French government

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/nl/ip_19_4991

This ‘national sport’ is practiced by few municipalities in airports located Germany, Spain and Italy as well

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_16_2682
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_13_956
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_18_6222

In the other hand, the payments from airport owner for RyanAir to land are ‘discounts’, these apply anytime when RyanAir brings a target number of passengers into the airports (other airlines can meet these numbers as well), these were ruled as legal under EU law…RyanAir seems to always get discount deals with airports when they bring load of people, including in Stansted that is owned by Manchester Airport Group

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I find it hard to believe that passenger transports pay so much, say €1k, to justify the exclusion of GA paying say €50. Think of how much more stuff you need to have around to service the passenger flights!

You have to remember that, at least for CAT airports in the UK:

- They aren’t infrastructure, they are shopping malls with runways attached.

- While a commercial aircraft will require more stuff around, the airlines will pay directly for these anyway. (This is why the low cost carriers almost never use the jetway, the airports charge extra for that).

- An A320neo will bring 180 customers into the shopping mall, a TB20 will probably only bring 2, and both will tie up ATC/runways/taxiways for about the same amount of time. In fact, the TB20 would be even worse – the people on board probably would bypass the shopping mall altogether!

- The shopping mall is really where the airport makes its money, especially given the captive audience and the general “hurry up and wait” experience of CAT flying.

You just have to look at all the add on extras the airlines charge the passengers. High charges for merely going past the front door to drop off a passenger, extra charges if you don’t want to wait in a security line (actually, a double whammy for the shopping mall with the runway attached – it means the customer who paid more to go through security faster now has more time to spend money in the shopping mall). Also at places like Gatwick, where it used to be about 10m to go from security to the departure lounge, they rerouted it through a very sinuous and bendy 100m passage through a premium shop with such strong perfume smells your eyes start to water (which is just what you need if it’s busy and you’re a bit late for your flight). Given this it becomes apparent why these places would outprice GA traffic, as their main business is keeping their shopping mall tenants happy to justify the high rents they charge, and GA users wouldn’t be doing any of that.

There’s quite a good Wendover video about it –

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

It has been known that Ryanair were paid to land by the local “Mayor” (especially in France) although I believe the EU eventually ruled this was an illegal subsidy. That would be quite funny because the incentive to the airport would be zero!

Ibra wrote:

This ‘national sport’ is practiced by few municipalities in airports located Germany, Spain and Italy as well

Very much the same thing happened in Sweden. The city of Nyköping where “Stockholm/Skavsta” airport (ESKN) is located paid lots of money to Ryanair for “advertising services.” IIRC a Swedish court eventually ruled this practise illegal.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s a very informative video.

It also contains some of the “landing” etc costs. There are also significant departure charges.

I agree re the perfume stench!

Administrator

Also at places like Gatwick, where it used to be about 10m to go from security to the departure lounge, they rerouted it through a very sinuous and bendy 100m passage through a premium shop with such strong perfume smells your eyes start to water (which is just what you need if it’s busy and you’re a bit late for your flight).

Indeed. And then looking at all the people who are caught by this trap and buy the crap in this s-turn labyrinth from hell easily makes it a top ten place to lose faith in humanity.

I’d happily pay double the ticket price to get an airport, and nothing but an airport, with a nice restaurant overlooking the apron.

always learning
LO__, Austria
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message