Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Weak starter on a MEP? No prob: use this old hat-trick

You can skip to 06:00 or even 14:00 for the shorter version

Last Edited by Antonio at 29 Mar 20:52
Antonio
LESB, Spain

It reminds me of good Spanish country wisdom: el burro no * porque es lindo, pero porque es persistente :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

That genius way of solving engine start problem, what about those cocked wheel breaks?

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Mar 20:51
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

el burro no * porque es lindo, pero porque es persistente :)
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Ibra wrote:

those cocked wheel breaks?

They are using reverse thrust, so maybe not that bad…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

A bit weird (to me ) is the use of flaps during those 2 starter runs… either you wanna fly, then use flaps as necessary, or you wanna stay on the ground. Might be in the SOPs?

PS
On the ARJ 85/100 we had a 3 engine take-off procedure. Ferry flight with trained crew only.

Last Edited by Dan at 30 Mar 08:52
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

On the ARJ 85/100 we had a 3 engine take-off procedure. Ferry flight with trained crew only.

A friend at BA showed me one of their internal memos about a 3 engine ferry from somewhere in South Africa back to the UK in an A380. It made for an interesting read, especially as Airbus had written the procedure but no one had ever actually done it before outside of the original test program IIRC.

United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

Almost all 4 engine airplanes (and some 3 holers too) have those procedures. Swissair brought home several MD11’s on 2 engines and I recall the last flight of the DC4 which is now standing in FRA as gate guard was on 3 as well. The 747 even has procedures to ferry an engine home on a 5th pod. 3 engine ferries are quite common.

Broken starters in Jets is also not unknown. I’ve seen some “creative” methods there as well… last time on a DC8-62… taxi behind a DC9 or similar and line up the affected engine with their exhaust plume and tell him to gun the engines for a moment, then do a windmill start. Worked that time. They did disable the broken starter before trying this stunt. I heard that even classic 747’s have done stuff like this.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Dan wrote:

A bit weird (to me ) is the use of flaps during those 2 starter runs… either you wanna fly, then use flaps as necessary, or you wanna stay on the ground. Might be in the SOPs?

I have no idea about their SOPs or aircraft type, but on ours, we would get a constant takeoff configuration warning horn sounding without flaps set, once thrust was applied. So maybe it was a way of avoiding listening to similar?

United Kingdom

good thinking @Pirho, thanks… see, I really had a need for that 3rd coffee

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message