Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Possible job opportunities in GA maintenance?

The only way to “get rich” out of “human work” is to employ a number of people. You will never get rich by working on our own and billing for your time only. Well, a cardiologist can make 300k, but he won’t have time to do any flying. There are basically just two main ways to get rich and have a life:

• employ a number of people whose time you can bill
  • manufacture something in volume (possibly the mfg being wholly subcontracted)

You would be doing the 1st. I’ve spent last 45 years doing the 2nd

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sebastian_G wrote:

They tried to optimize maintance to an industrial level with custom checklists attached to each aircraft, centralized documentation etc.

Isn’t that what EASA’s CAO/CAMO system is supposed to achieve?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Firms that do just say TBMs do that. It’s hard to do for piston GA due to the broad spectrum, and because you can’t just “do the whole MM” with pistons because while TP owners pay any size invoice, piston owners … don’t.

Administrator

Sebastian_G wrote:

- They struggle to get work hours in. There is a huge overhead with EASA audits, training, quality management etc. and the smaller the shop it the worse it gets in relation to the work done.
- Communication with customers can be a pain. Customers complain about a lack of communication but many are also not so easy to deal with. All the delays and problems from each case beeing different do not help as they create more need for more communication which takes away from your work hours.

@Sebastian_G, is there maybe an opportunity for company that helps the mechanics?
I mean:
- provides a CRM for customer comms with reminders etc.
- creates a framework for EASA compliance with help on processes and paperwork

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

@Sebastian_G, is there maybe an opportunity for company that helps the mechanics?

Yes what I have seen are software companies providing all kinds of services and some maintance shops technically are “outlets” of some other maintance firm flying under their flag regarding all the paperwork. That might be an idea to work on to offer Part 145 franchising like Mc Donalds. I have seen this also for AOC

Airborne_Again wrote:

Isn’t that what EASA’s CAO/CAMO system is supposed to achieve?

My opinion is the only way to make this really work is to concentrate on a certain type of aircraft. But then there are not that many and you would really have to pay money on advertizing etc. to really gather the entire European fleet.

Peter wrote:

Firms that do just say TBMs do that.

Yes if doing all this effort starting with a more valuable airframe is probably a good idea.

A few more crazy GA business ideas:
Offer repair services for lift transducers. Maybe even devlop a lift transducer yourself. Crazy prices for quite primitive products
Manufacture deice boots. Can not be that hard and crazy prices
Manufacture heated front windows. A little harder but even more crazy prices.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Wow, this thread started living it’s own life, I like it :)
Well, maintenance market is weird ecosystem here and there, maybe I should do something else, but airplanes are my meaning of life.
Maybe buying damaged planes and parting them out? Or repairing them? I have a place to store them disassembled, but everything needs money to start.
Maybe I should do avionics build ins? I already did few radios, ELTs, transponders, some other instruments…
Or maybe I will start to dig treasures. It will be easier.

LKBU, Czech Republic

Become a dealer and an overhaul shop for some interesting US products. A lot of good stuff out there isn’t represented in Europe, so everybody here gets a lot of hassle.

Administrator

Do you live nearby Polish border?
There is huge demand for part66 technicians in PL.
We often use facilities located in CZ.

Poland

@Raven I live near Prague, my home airport is 45 minutes in C172 from Polish border. If you know someone who wants some mechanical or avionics job on Cessna (I know them most, since I built mine FR172 from disassembled airplane formerly meaned to part it out), let me know. I have also one polish friend, who helps me sometimes, so he can speak to people who don’t speak english, or czech.

@Peter dealer of something like that would be cool, but what it should be? Aviation is a small world, it would be only occasional job. Maybe better way will be to bring something from eastern europe to USA, like plane parts, their market is much bigger.

LKBU, Czech Republic
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message