Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney makes a comeback

Actually it was a modernized Wassmer airframe from the 60s

That’s right, there’s nothing much new under the sun. There are countless designs that have all more or less failed, or at least been built in very small numbers. Some are probably better than others but they all share the common problem that they don’t really offer anything above what, at the time, was a volume product, C172, PA28, M20 etc. The only reason some of these designs actually do exist appears to be a French preference to aircraft made in France…

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

The great thing about EuroGA is that just about anywhere else (in Europe) a thread like this would be into fist fights by now

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Absolutely Peter. You run a great place here and with good people too. Has become my primary aviation forum in the mean time.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

You don’t see these guys and gals glue together a Cirrus…

EHTE, Netherlands

That’s supposed to be a marketing video, pro Mooney?
These booted people may know how to make Mooneys but I’m not so sure they know how to make money. Looks like a factory from the 19th century…

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Jesus Christ … :-) This film is not a favour. Maybe if they built chainsaws, or tractors …

Interesting that most of the pictures in the video where they actually BUILD airplanes are black and white …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 21 Jan 17:06

That’s exactly the kind of place I’d buy from, but that’s me. I won’t spend my spare money, the money I actually enjoy spending, to follow the crowd.

The first time I went to the Moto Guzzi motorcycle factory (built in 1921) in 1988, solo no Italian at that time and very young, I decided it was the coolest place I’d ever been. They actually made stuff there – emerging from the rust, sparks and noise came beautiful machines of which they were evidently very proud. It made me want to do business with them. I’ve never been without a Guzzi since but stopped buying them new when Piaggio took over and infected them with corporate BS. Similarly I don’t get excited about meeting Chip and Buffy for a latte at the plane dealer

FWiW the people I know who make the nicest carbon fiber aircraft structures I’ve ever seen are not dissimilar. Knowledge does not always come in mass produced, plastic packages.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Jan 16:20

In 1988 many factories looked like Mooney’s still, just not so much today.

I recognize that this is an enthusiast video, not a Mooney marketing production.
I just hope the guys and gals who fire the business back up again work on that good impression, it’s not a Trabant they’re putting together…

You should buy Hesketh motorcycles instead, Silvaire…

Last Edited by Krister_L at 21 Jan 15:58
ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

I do have eight motorcycles, some similar, but a Hesketh is not among them. It is the kind of thing I’d like but they didn’t sell them globally and his Lordship apparently had some engineering problems that took an awfully long time for Mick Broom to resolve.

One of my motorcycles, bought for $5600, is now worth more $ than one of my planes – more than the fully restored plane in fact. I’ll sell that bike someday I suppose, but not until I’m too old to maintain it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Jan 16:19

LOL, well, thanks for that.

Actually, that short was done during the shut down time by the very same Jolie Lucas who wrote the article quoted in this thread and her husband Mitch Latting, both of whom can be seen at the end of the clip.

It basically showed some of the people who kept the factory going during the shut down and had the dedication and courage to keep up supply for us thousands of Mooney owners. These people are heroes in more than one way, without them, Mooney would probably be gone by now and not restarting production. I am very much looking forward to this DVD when it comes out in April and will certainly buy it.

Have a look at the text which accompaines this video when you check it out in youtube. It was done with the full cooperation and to the deep satisfaction of those people who worked there.

Jolie and Mitch are people like we really need them in GA and whom we can unfortunately only dream of here in Europe. Have a look at some of their work here.

The Mooney Ambassadors

I fully agree with Silvaire. Yet, it probably takes flying one of those magnificent planes to figure out why.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 21 Jan 16:25
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message