Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to sell a TB20

I sold my mooney myself and created website per the advice found here, with all the honest info and relevant docs and stuck it on controller and planecheck. Different market then, but I had a fairly quick sale without too much tirekickers. Pricing I found difficult, as it was a low time, clean airframe in need of an engine. But be honest and realistic and you’ll be fine.

EHTE, Netherlands

Brokers generally take between 5% and 10% on an aircraft of this price range.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I sold my C182S this year via a UK broker.
Sale went through in 3 weeks and was fairly hassle free.
Broker’s fee was 4%+ vat

EGCJ Sherburn, United Kingdom

Thank you @zuutroy @snoopy @RobertL18C @Peter

This is as close to an oscar acceptance speech as I will ever come!

@NealCS I think my fabulous sales consultant in the south of England The Flying Mum has you on Box 2, it’s well worth meeting her to have a chat. She has something that no paid advertising can buy! We would value it by looking at Vref for book valuations, searching for comparables and looking at recent sales that we know of. There is a global market for aircraft like this, we can present it so that someone thousands of miles away would happily buy it. You ideally want the sale to complete for you in the UK, then have the people who can do N-reg conversion/containerise/ferry fly the aircraft – take it on the next leg of the journey. The takeaway is to sell globally, but you get paid on local delivery ideally ex EGKA.

The people we sell aeroplanes for, wouldn’t tolerate some of the minute details the buyers come up with. A lot of the time we are splitting hairs on who pays for the sandwiches on the day the aircraft is dropped off for a pre-purchase, and why haven’t we got the right data cable for the engine monitor? I used to be an estate agent in a previous life so I am well versed in the minute details. There is a good reason people with high-end aeroplanes make the choices they do:

Sell directly to a dealer: Achieve 80% of retail
Sell using a broker: Achieve 95% of retail
Sell themselves: Aim for 100% of retail

If you look at it purely from the seller’s point of view you want that bank transfer to ping on your phone, and nobody to break your heart along the way!

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

From previous experience I would definitly consider a broker and from what I have read here and heard elsewhere in the UK scene, @WilliamF is where I would go.

I did put up my plane on planecheck twice in recent years and am seriously considering selling as my situation is not unlike yours, fighting to get my medical back and in addition a massive lack of time.

All that said, I am quite optimistic for your sale. You own a very desirable airplane with TKS and in great condition, so you should be still getting top £ for it in the current market. I would not be too shy about export e.t.c. as this is done all the time, but it does require someone who knows that business in and out, in other words again a broker who has experience in these things.

The TB20 and one with TKS particularly is a very desirable airplane, one of the best SEP travellers all around, solid 150 kts, solid 1000 NM range, a comfortable cabin and good payload. So I don’t think it will be on the market for very long. As for valuation, @WilliamF will know how to go about it but I would think it to be rather on the top end of the current TB20 offerings.

Putting together a comprehensive package of data and pictures is a must. If you see the rubbish posted on planecheck and elsewhere, where people can’t even be bothered to take an airplane out of a hangar for pics, leave a cluttered mess in the cockpit and give totally inadequate information, I would strongly suggest to do your homework and get that out of the way. Again, a good broker can help you with that as he does know what helps and what hampers getting top £ while being honest and upfront with what you advertize.

I wish you all the best of luck with selling and hope you can look back on a great time with this airplane.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 24 Dec 12:22
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

THANKS everyone this considered and helpful advice is exactly what I love about this forum -and the consensus seems to point to the same dealer we already are in touch with, if we use a dealer at all.

I have compiled some information – is this everything I need do you think?

SOCATA TB 20 TRINIDAD
G-CPMS S/N 1607 199
Based Shoreham

• Glass Panel, Full IFR and rare 5-seat, factory TKS (ex Socata Demonstrator)
  • Oxygen and Satellite Weather, certified for Flight into Known Icing with
  • Typical cruise 140 KIAS, plan for 49l/hour take off-landing— range over 1000nm

ENGINE
Lycoming IO-540-C4-D5D 6CYL

• Airframe hours 2150
  • Engine hours 808
  • Propeller hours 295
  • Prop Hartzell HC-C2YK-1BF/F8477-4 

Annual and ARC until 15 March 2023.

JPI EDM 830 and GAMIjector management System. Intelligent engine and fuel management.
Completely accurate fuel indication for reliable in-trip/diversion planning.

ANTI ICE

Full TKS anti-ice system. Factory installed wet wing anti ice protection. Heated prop and screen TKS. Approved for flight into known icing (FIKI).

OXYGEN
“On demand” removable Mountain High oxygen system with up to 30 hours Oxygen.
Fuel consumption reduced at higher altitudes

AVIONICS

• Aspen PRO1000 PFD EFD with Synthetic Vision and Flight Director
  • Aspen PRO 500 MFD EFD
  • Garmin GNS 530W
  • Garmin GNS 430W
  • Garmin GTX 335 ADS-B All in one Transponder
  • Garmin GMA 350 Audio and music Panel with RT playback
  • DME
  • Bendix/King KR 87 ADF
  • Garmin Aera 660 backup/P2 MFD
  • Garmin GDL39 with GPS/ALT/TCAS to feed Aera 660
  • Autopilot KFC 150 fully integrated including:
  • Flight director
  • Target altitude
  • Rate of climb/desc
  • GNSS approaches can be flown
  • Bendix/King storm scope overlay
  • Bendix/King TCAS overlay
  • Golze ADL 140 live Satellite weather and comms system.
  • Artex ELT345 + panel mounted instrument display and control
  • Electronic Forensics CO detector/alarm

OTHER

• Aircraft was Socata demonstrator until 1998
  • 3 owners since- always hangared
  • 5 seat version (3 seats in row 2)
  • Polished nose cone
  • Original Breguet stopwatch in P1 yoke
  • USB ports and iPhone/aux audio input
  • 326 litre fuel allowing up to 6.5hrs flight time.
  • Full set of static wicks.
  • Cavendish Aerocoat polymer coating applied to all paint.
  • Full set of “red” pitot, static and engine vent covers.
  • All-weather engine and cabin cover.
  • Wheel chocks.
  • Ground power system with Red Box unit.
  • Always hangared, no accident damage – paintwork and interior 9/10

Last Edited by NealCS at 26 Dec 18:31
TB20 IR(R) 600hrs
EGKA Shoreham, United Kingdom

I think if you leave that advert you might like to give a donation to Peter/EuroGA …

Well, that is merely the „ad“.

The „information package“ goes much beyond. Mostly scans of the logbooks, maintenance/repair/overhaul records and a table of runtimes of all the expensive components. But also things like the latest W&B report, proof of VAT payment, more photos, full list of accessories sold with the aircraft, etc.

The aircraft seems nice. Probably one of the nicest non-GTs out there. Be a bit more specific here and there in the ad. For example, „engine hours 808“ is not very specific at all. Then again, mentioning the fuel capacity is not really necessary, as all TB20s have the same one.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 26 Dec 18:37
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@skydriller

I have donated and will do so again. I really appreciate this site and Peter in particular – it was his original site that led me to take up touring GA many years ago :)

@boscamantico thanks! I can See a visit to the maintenance company will
Be needed :)

TB20 IR(R) 600hrs

Hi All, just a follow up thanking you for your advice, the TB changed hands yesterday to a hangar-mate who got wind of the sale when we prepping the aircraft… Peter was right to say it will not hang around long… except that it will stay in the same hangar at Shoreham EGKA as before, right next to his aircraft 😂

For the record, we would have used WF as a broker, though we already had a euroga forum member also wanting the aircraft.

A good sale but obviously bittersweet as I loved that plane.

Last Edited by NealCS at 21 Jan 17:55
TB20 IR(R) 600hrs
Sign in to add your message