Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA reviewing the PMD (Pilot Medical Declaration) system - again Nov 2023, Closes 4 Jan 2024

What has changed?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Incidentally, the CAA’s ORS4 No. 1597 seems to have somewhat relaxed the medical criteria for making a PMD to fly G-reg sub 2t aircraft.

Last Edited by Jacko at 24 Apr 14:48
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Thank you

EGTF, LFTF

I’ve been flying on a PMD for several years. I just now clicked on my UK CAA link and searched for “PMD”. I got 3 pages of links, but none got me to the application form.
Their site obfuscation skills continue to improve.
Edit addition. Try:
https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/About-us/Doing-business-with-the-CAA/Customer-portal/?mc_cid=db7dd5d83d&mc_eid=3b066e5b7b

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 19 Apr 21:33
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

How do you apply for a PMD? Asking for a friend 😔

EGTF, LFTF

Note that the post above shows the PMD is valid with the IMCR so you can fly IFR on it in UK airspace, Class D or lower. But you need a full PPL; the IMCR cannot be used with the NPPL.

Administrator

I didn’t know FIs or FEs can use the PMD…

The 2-5.7T band can’t be much used anyway, hence I asked if something happened. Some dodgy stuff in an Aztec? God forbid, never heard of such a thing!

Administrator

Lies, damn lies and statistics….

Looking at what they ask, they seem to want to

• remove the 2,000 – 5,700kg MTOW range from the PMD
  • make it mandatory to make a new PMD every 5 years (2 years for 60+)
  • prevent instructors and examiners from using it
  • prevent cost sharing OR make it mandatory to inform passengers

The one thing that always astonishes me is that people in the CAA waste their time tinkering around rules where there is no problem – and all that based on a statistical analysis which is either utterly incompetent or deliberately misleading. As a reminder – they took a sample of 800 individuals with a PMD, 400 of which were deliberately chosen because the individuals had failed a medical. They found that 4% of these 800 had disqualifying conditions, and used that to build their argument on.

Biggin Hill

You should all make your views known, and push to preserve the existing system. The fact that some 3/4 of the UK PPL population can and is using this concession shows that it is perfectly safe.

Administrator
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message