Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How long until the EU kills off GA?

So I’ve been doom scrolling…

Emissions trading, new additional taxation plans to limit the use of “private jets” coming out of France (read: everything that flies with fossil fuels) etc will make GA unaffordable to, let’s say, 50% of the current GA pilots by 2030. Who knows what else they’ll cook up. Also, get ready for the next fuel price shock once the embargo on Russian oil hits on Jan 1. The energy crisis will kill a lot of SMUs which will obliviously impact the number of GA pilots. Oh and 100LL will definitely disappear around 2025 via some paragraph hidden in an obscure EU directive. No warning, one day to the next.

So I’ll fly gliders then, you’re thinking. Nah, they’ll commercialize the lower airspace for drones. No more hang flying for you, ha!

Utter madness: https://www.euractiv.com/section/aviation/news/fossil-jet-fuel-price-expected-to-soar-as-eu-taxes-bite/

Cheers

Last Edited by SamuelCZ at 24 Sep 16:32
Czech Republic

Poor use of the title („the EU“) insinuating that things would be different (better) if no EU existed. How many Czech made airplanes would be sold without belonging to the customs union? On most of the countless eastern UL manufacturer’s websites I find some prominent logo about EU grant money subsidies as well. What was a czech national PPL worth in 1980? Where you able to fly a D-registered plane to France with it? I don’t see any EU initiative about luxury taxes, seems like a national french proceeding. Overall it reminds me of populist politicians blaming „the EU“, which is stupid because „the EU“ is made up of elected politicians from all member states.

As much as I enjoy flying, it’s not worth it to get the oil for it by all means, especially in light of the current events. Take a close look which politicians created this dependence on oil and gas from a single supplier.

About lead, that should have been abolished 40 years ago, it’s ridiculous.

Fact is, GA thrives in the US, and in part it’s due to it being the biggest market for anything by far, with a homogeneous regulatory structure and least bureaucratic hurdles. We’re not there yet by far, but at least we have a common licensing/airworthiness system, which is a net positive.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 24 Sep 20:54
always learning
LO__, Austria

I feel GA is well protected under EU than under individual NAA systems, what did EU/EASA do for us? the rest of it is political trends, we all are going to buy self-flying cars or drones made by Tesla

If one can’t move to US, they can move to UK, it’s the new GA heaven

So I’ve been doom scrolling…

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Sep 21:12
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’m with @Snoopy on this. The EU is certainly not the entity that is out to kill GA in Europe. It’s primarily busibodies and ideologues at national and even local level, as well as greedy Airport managers.

I reckon if the EU regulatory framework completely superseded and even abolished national NAAs, aeronautical laws etc., we’d be much closer to the situation in the US and GA would thrive.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Ibra wrote:

If one can’t move to US, they can move to UK, it’s the new GA heaven

There is some truth in this:

1. hundreds, perhaps more than a thousand, small airfields and grass strips dotted all around the country. Mostly with landing fees of £10 or £20.
  2. set up a farm strip on your own farm land and use it without restriction for at least 45 days per year
  3. with an IFR rating, fly in IMC in unrestricted airspace
  4. cheap Jet A, no VAT or fuel duty if flown out of the UK, same for Avgas in some circumstances
  5. clear customs and immigration at ANY airstrip in the country with a simple on-line filing system

And some of the best airport restaurants in the world!!

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 25 Sep 07:42
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

f one can’t move to US, they can move to UK, it’s the new GA heaven

Or Scandinavia. :-)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I started to agree on 1. 2….5. then this

Really

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Sep 08:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Not doubting you @Buckerfan, but I’d like a list, please, so I can have my next few short hops planned :-)

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Not sure I agree about airport food in the UK

An Italian airport may need 5 × PPR, you visit 5 different offices to pay the fees, then a couple more PPRs because you told them you are bringing a stuffed cat, but the food will be pretty good. Well, with the disclaimer that (to use a very old and much disputed joke) pizza is like sex: even when it is bad, it is still very very good

Seriously though: I don’t think the EU is a problem for GA within the EU. It is a problem for GA outside the EU because the EU is forming an ever tighter club, with an ever tighter external “border”. Presumably the motivation is to get the message across that you are better off inside the club then outside it, and of course to let everybody know that if they leave the club they are going to get maximally shafted. Whether this policy is a good thing obviously depends on where you are. The UK is outside (and was never going to join Schengen anyway – another ever tightening club), while Norway and Switzerland are “outside” but actually inside for all practical purposes. As a UK based pilot I see this increasingly; it is partly brexit related but the rot started long before that, with the French airport police practices (24/48hr PN for lots of nice destinations).

The EU has actually got very little control over anything applicable to GA. Look at the airport pricing legal action thread. GA is way below their radar.

100LL ban would be a big problem but it is very unlikely until there is a replacement.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

It was a joke FFS – unless you happen to like “bacon butty”.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 25 Sep 16:51
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message