Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Port and Starboard, or Left and Right

I once saw the mnemonic “The ship LEFT the PORT” and never again forgot which was port and which was starboard.
For red/green, the political angle works great :-)

EHLE, Netherlands

Just fyi – public schools in Germany is the equivalent of local schools in the UK ;-)
We do have “public schools” in the UK meaning as well.
Latin is taught either optionally (vs Greek or vs French) or, depending on the school, is even compulsory.

EDM_, Germany

Latin : “Might be true in the UK”.
In 1960, Scottish state schools had Latin compulsory for those most likely to go to university. It disappeared after 1970.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Inkognito wrote:

there is a lot of overlap in the nautical terms

Thank god it is not Americanized as aviation, or all the nautical terms would be cryptic acronyms

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

There is an easier mnemonic with a real life application, too: Just imagine a traffic light – “red means stop, green means go”. If you are crossing ways with another plane at night and if you see a red light, it means he has the right of way. Because, of course, you must see his left wing then and thus he is coming from the right.

PS: As far as I understand, the rudder could be damaged thus the ships put the port side to the quay wall. I’ve been told that is the reason a harbour is called port. Wiktionary supports this: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/port#Etymology_1
PPS: (deepl says it’s ‘kaimauer’ in english, but that’s just the german word for it – on the other hand, there is a lot of overlap in the nautical terms)

Berlin, Germany

Peter wrote:

Latin shows that your parents could afford 5k-20k a year for private schooling

Might be true in the UK – in most other parts of Europe it’s not. In German public high schools – we have very few non public in the first place – Latin is also “umsonst”… (hard to translate to English as depending on context “umsonst” can mean “for free” as well as “pointless”).

Germany

Peter wrote:

Well, he was a communist

Chomsky was/is a communist? Well, I guess, if you use the term as a slur to slap on anyone to the left.

That reminds me of this cartoon which was published in a Swedish magazine in the early 1970’s, I believe, and still resurfaces from time to time:

Man: “But please, officer, I’m an anti-communist.”
Police officer: “I don’t f-cking care what kind of communist you are. I’ll kill you, you bastard!”

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 15 Apr 06:43
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Latin was mandatory at my State school from 11years old.

France

Latin shows that your parents could afford 5k-20k a year for private schooling.

Latin is mandatory in Croatia’s in gymnasium, medical and veterinarian secondary schools (public and private) as it used to be in ex-Yugoslavia. In classical gymnasium they have ancient Greek on top of that.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You know the old saying: if you are 20 and not a communist, you haven’t got a heart. If you are 40 and are a communist, you haven’t got a brain. He’s 93

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message