Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Port and Starboard, or Left and Right

kwlf wrote:

countries with a coastline (Britain, Holland, Russia, Ukraine, Iceland) differentiate between the terms port/left starboard/right,

Interesting research. I hated linguistics when I was supposed to be studying it, but this is really interesting.

On a related subject, almost all languages use one of only two words for tea. Standard Chinese 400 years ago was ‘cha’ and derivatives of this word were used in countries supplied by land (e.g. along the silk road), but the coastal dialect was ‘tê’ so maritime trading nations used words derived from this.

Thank you to LeSving to the port/starboard explanation. I do believe the etymology of a word is important for its proper understanding. ‘Port’ must be Latin (portus), but I think the Romans used ‘left side’ and ‘right side’ (sinister and dexter). Translating the concept isn’t the same as translating the word

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Interesting research. I hated linguistics when I was supposed to be studying it

My ex girlfriend was studying translating and used to use Chomsky as a swear word. But your tea fact has made my day.

Last Edited by kwlf at 14 Apr 13:27

Peter wrote:

I remember them as:

Left wing = communist = red (commies usually have a red flag)

Hahaha, I do exactly the same! @Peter will know why….

“Port’ must be Latin (portus),)
Why? “Port” is also Celtic.. Other Celtic words are also similar to Latin roots.
Thread drift rant: a my generation wasted teenage time learning Latin.
The only use I’ve found is conversation with Germans who learned it, but not English. I wanted to learn German but would have had to drop science to do so.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I too wasted days of my life translating Virgil, and conjugating a table.

France

gallois wrote:

I too wasted days of my life translating Virgil, and conjugating a table.

Same here. Eight years…

That said, I think it did help with learning Latin languages (I speak three).

The only Virgil I know of is this one.

I did Russian, not Latin, and both are totally useless. The former is going to be even more totally useless from now on.

Latin shows that your parents could afford 5k-20k a year for private schooling

Chomsky as a swear word? Well, he was a communist which takes up back to red=left…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Chomsky as a swear word? Well, he was a communist

He still is.

EDQH, Germany

You know the old saying: if you are 20 and not a communist, you haven’t got a heart. If you are 40 and are a communist, you haven’t got a brain. He’s 93

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Latin shows that your parents could afford 5k-20k a year for private schooling.

Latin is mandatory in Croatia’s in gymnasium, medical and veterinarian secondary schools (public and private) as it used to be in ex-Yugoslavia. In classical gymnasium they have ancient Greek on top of that.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message