Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Now that coronavirus is nearly over, are people going to get back to flying?

I flew yesterday evening, at short notice, just for the fun of it, and it was incredibly enjoyable. Perfectly smooth air, wind no more than 1 or 2 knots both on the ground and further up. Flew around at minimum altitude looking at things, climbed up and did some general handling, back to the airfield for 3 very tight circuits with the last landing 10 minutes after sunset. Block time 35 minutes.

The Vagabond, based 10 minutes drive away at an airfield with no concept of being ‘closed’, no-one on the radio and nothing in the way of rules, is perfect for this.

It feels like very pure flying. I’m looking forward to some longer trips in the TB10 too, now that the weather is improving, but for sheer “I fancy a bit of flying right now” the Vagabond is hard to beat.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

The Vagabond, based 10 minutes drive away at an airfield with no concept of being ‘closed’, no-one on the radio and nothing in the way of rules, is perfect for this.

You can’t beat that luxury

I used to fly someone else wood & fabric: 15min drive right after work during weekdays, all I needed was fuel & oil and dry grass…no headsets = no problem, sunset = no problem…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Personally, these two years lead to a major change in our situation and how we view our future.
Flying is now lower in my priorities.

Whilst I agree on the first sentence… I feel the opposite on the 2nd
The virus 🦠, the loss of my parents, getting older, and the looming final firework make me realize how fragile the system is. Right now flying as much as I can/afford/dare, enjoying every micro seconds of it to the max.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Agreed, so… Time to look at the next fly-in

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

The virus 🦠, the loss of my parents, getting older, and the looming final firework make me realize how fragile the system is. Right now flying as much as I can/afford/dare, enjoying every micro seconds of it to the max.

I agree, one should make the best of every day that remains for each one of us. Like @Jujupilote my focus has shifted massively, not so much because of the virus but because of what you refer to as “the final firework”. I’ve decided to spend as much time with my daughter and my wife as I can. I have restricted activities which don’t involve them to the bare minimum, i.e. when they are not available. I treat every day as if it’s the last. Because it may well be.

Yes, it is very fragile indeed. And it is really disappointing that now that one crisis has been managed to the point where things start to come back to normal, the next one puts an even higher question mark on our future.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

As the first quarter of the year has practically passed, I checked logged hours – 43 since January 1st. Not bad at all – if I continued this pace, it would be one of the best years ever. However, I won’t be able to fly a lot in April, May and June, then summer holidays will kick-in and I don’t expect to log additional 40 until September.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Skyrocketting price of avgas does matter also.

+ Diesel.

Some local prices:

DA40NG 4,8€/min
C172 Diesel G500Txi 4,2€/min
DA42 9,7€/min

Add to that car gas was 2+€/l and other cost of living increases (gas for heating 700%, my electricity went from 5ct/kwh to 35ct/kwh). I’m concerned many people will fly much less or quit. An afternoon of flying a typical 4 seater + landing fees is now around 500-1000€.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I purchased 10.000 liters of Jet-A1 when the price was lowest (0.5€) and still have 3.000 liters which will last hopefully until the end of this year. Then I’ll worry about the fuel price

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Snoopy wrote:

C172 Diesel G500Txi 4,2€/min

That’s over 240€ per hour but at around 20 l/h the recent increase in Diesel prices the fuel price increase the hourly rate by less than 20€.That’s not even 10%. For some this might be the final nail in the coffin for their flying but it is more a psychological thing than a showstopper.

And where did you ever get your electricity for 5 cents? In 1980? I remember it has always been around 25 cents since I’ve owned my house.

EDQH, Germany

Clipperstorch wrote:

I remember it has always been around 25 cents since I’ve owned my house.

Wow. 25 cents is above the level where the Swedish government introduced emergency subsidies of electricity this winter. OTOH Swedes are much more dependent on electricity for heating compared to Germans.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message